PICO and SERIAL com cable

plongson

What's with AB putting out a PICO communication cable with a SERIAL port connection. There isn't a laptop around that has serial connections any more...including mine!

Will a USB to SERIAL adapter work?? I read somewhere these thing sometimes don't give the desired results.

THANKS!!

Paul...

<grumpy old man>
I was working on a project this week where we had eight laptop computers spread out on a conference table connected to various bits of measurement and automation equipment. Six of them were various models of Dell Latitude, sure, but not one of them lacked a serial port. I don't buy my hand tools at Wal-Mart, and I don't buy my computers at Best Buy, because I put bread on the table with these things, not play World of Warcraft and read Facebook.
</grumpy old man>

So yes, use a serial to USB converter. Get a good one like the 19HS from Keyspan and it will always enumerate as the same COMx port (unlike the cheapo models) and will work with features like Modbus RTU and DF1 Autoconfig.

Eddie Willers said:
<grumpy old man>
I was working on a project this week where we had eight laptop computers spread out on a conference table connected to various bits of measurement and automation equipment. Six of them were various models of Dell Latitude, sure, but not one of them lacked a serial port. I don't buy my hand tools at Wal-Mart, and I don't buy my computers at Best Buy, because I put bread on the table with these things, not play World of Warcraft and read Facebook.
</grumpy old man>

So yes, use a serial to USB converter. Get a good one like the 19HS from Keyspan and it will always enumerate as the same COMx port (unlike the cheapo models) and will work with features like Modbus RTU and DF1 Autoconfig.

Ditto!
More info to restate above. To purchase the "Keyspan" see lower link.

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=37797&highlight=laptop

http://www.plctrainer.net/

When I said "there isn't a laptop around", that was meant as an exaggeration…obviously there are gazallions around w/serial ports(again and exaggeration), unfortunately not mine. And no, it isn't a Walmart cheepo.

I still see no good reason AB has not offered a USB communication cable…unless they still ship software on 1.44 floppys’

Just my 2¢

plongson said:
I still see no good reason AB has not offered a USB communication cable…

So, you would rather pay AB price for a USB to serial converter?
Serial is much more common for other items being attached to a PLC (serial printers, VFDs, remote IO).

Brian

AB does make a USB to serial adapter, but the "Keyspan" is far superior. First PDF is for USB to RS232, second PDF is for USB to DH485 ( this one is the one to have if you need to connect to DH485 devices).

I didn't have time to wait on getting an adapter through the mail so I had to gamble. I lucked out and picked one up from Radio Shack and it works great communicating with the PICO. It was $30.00

THANKS for all the help...