Allen Bradley Micro 1400 A, Expansion I/O

pbaker88

Hi guys,

I need to add 2 x 1769-IF4 and 1 x 1769 OW16 output card into an existing Micro 1400 Series A PLC. It has already has 3 expansion modules added in the past and now another 3.

From what i'm reading it seems like i can just power off the controller and add the cards in, then power back on and 'read i/o config' in IO config popup screen and they appear. Will this put the PLC into fault as it knows they shouldn't be there?

Is this the best way or should i drag and drop them into the I/O configuration while offline. If so do i then do a download to the controller.

When setting the analogs to 4-20ma etc do you need to do a download for changes to take effect or does hitting apply change these immediately?

Thanks.

I need to add 2 x 1769-IF4 and 1 x 1769 OW16 output card into an existing Micro 1400 Series A PLC. It has already has 3 expansion modules added in the past and now another 3.

Just to clarify.... the 1400 uses the 1762 series not the 1769 series

From what i'm reading it seems like i can just power off the controller and add the cards in, then power back on and 'read i/o config' in IO config popup screen and they appear. Will this put the PLC into fault as it knows they shouldn't be there?

Is this the best way or should i drag and drop them into the I/O configuration while offline. If so do i then do a download to the controller.

Either way but make sure you have a backup copy of the program before you make changes... for me doing the 'read i/o' is the easiest way

When setting the analogs to 4-20ma etc do you need to do a download for changes to take effect or does hitting apply change these immediately?

If you made the changes in your program they will start working as soon as you go back to the run mode

If I remember correctly, if you add hardware without the correct program configuration, the PLC will fault. I know there was one where I wanted to test the PLC without installing the I/O hardware that was in the program and it took exception to me doing that. Took a while to get round it too....

Is there not also a limit to the number of expansion modules you can add?

When I added I/O to mine, I did it all offline, then loaded the program into the PLC.

Not sure about the analog configs though.....

Thanks geniusintraining, sorry you are correct uses the 1762.
Is it best to 'read io config' being offline or in program mode?
Do you generally get a plc fault?

John, do you remember if the fault cleared once the program matched? Yeah manual says upto 7 modules.

The only way to do a read is you must be online... you can also just add them to your program and do a download but yes you will fault out the CPU either when you add the hardware and power up or when you download the program with the added hardware but either way you will fault out the CPU and have to be online to clear the fault

My advice is to put the PLC into program mode, power down, add the cards, power up, read I/O config (you must be offline to do this), then download, go online, go to run mode, save as...

Then you never fault the PLC. I used to just alter the I/O and then have the extra step of clearing the faults, but I had a situation (with a 5/05) where the PLC decided to dump its Ethernet settings when it faulted. It was in a food plant. It was in the farthest room in the building. I had to go through HAACP procedures (again) to get in there with my laptop and serial cable. It took about 30 minutes. I did the same thing on the same machine a few months later. The third time I came up with the idea of going to program mode first and saved myself a few hundred steps, and all the washing and wasted time.

My 2 cents
The only way to do a read is to be offline with the PLC but have access to it via RSLinx. In other words you can't be online (the "read I/O" is grayed out if you are online) but you have to be able to go online for the "read I/O" function to work.
The PLC will only fault with the new modules attached if you put the PLC into run mode without the modules configured in the I/O tree.
So no matter how you slice it, at some point you will have to take the PLC out of run mode to install the new modules.

This what I do:
1) Go online with the PLC without the modules connected and save the program
a)This way I know that I'm working with the program that is in the PLC and that I can connect
2) Put the PLC in program mode and go back offline
3) Power down the PLC and connect the modules
4) Confirm that RSLinx can see the PLC
5) Open the IO Configuration and read the I/O
6) Save the program (I usually give it a new name or rev up the name)
7) Download the new program and put the PLC back into run mode

The above does not deal with using the files for the I/O modules which can be done anytime after you add them via the "read I/O".