Affordable SCM/VCS option for PLC code

Evirua

The context is a shop working with both B&R and Rockwell products, meaning respectively text and binary format code.

The goal is to optimize the way multiple developers can work on the same project, and that's obviously done with a VCS. The other constraint is that we're looking for free to low-priced options (more possible to convince the direction that way), which made me scratch off a few, like AssetCentre, VersionDog and MDT software.

Others I've scratched off because they either don't support binary files, or -as I understood it- they are obsolete or not PLC-context valid: Darcs, Fossil, BitKeeper, Team Foundation Server, SourceGear Vault, proficy change management (GEautomation), Bitbucket, and Perforce.

Which left me with my current "top" contenders: Git, Mercurial and Plastic SCM.

Git is the overwhelmingly popular choice, it doesn't support binary files, but I'm thinking Git LFS may do the trick? Mercurial seems more VCS-focused, has a simpler learning curve, and apparently has PLC-oriented literature. And Plastic SCM is a big unknown to me as it is apparently primarily meant for gamedev, but for all intents and purposes, seems affordable, supports binary files and offers the usual VCS features (branching, merging, diffing...).

I'm looking for insight as to which option would be the go-to in this case?

Thanks for taking the time.

The goal is to optimize the way multiple developers can work on the same project, and that's obviously done with a VCS. The other constraint is that we're looking for free to low-priced options (more possible to convince the direction that way), which made me scratch off a few, like AssetCentre, VersionDog and MDT software.

I'm looking for insight as to which option would be the go-to in this case?

From my perspective, I've never seen a developer truly happy with their PLC VCS solution for binary file formats. You may be able to create branches, but the tools really only work well when only one engineer is working on a project at a time. You also don't get diffs of the code, you can only upload the whole new project.

You could create a branch for each engineer to work in, and then manually merge them together occasionally, but this is a huge pain and not that much different from the "traditional" method of passing around USB sticks or working from a shared drive.

You might be able to get by with some text based export, but I'm not sure if those contain 100% of the project data. Maybe you check the binary file AND the export back in? That way one has ALL the data, and the other can have specific changes tracked and compared.