Question regarding PLC on Profibus (Saia PLC & Eaton Profibus)

Daye.04

Hey all.

I don't like to do this, but we've got like a huge thing going on here, and they'd like for me to get it over with as soon as possible.

Now. My question is as follows.

We've got a Saia PCD3 PLC up in our cabinet. Through - If I'm not mistaken - an RS232 or similar, a profibus cable goes to an Eaton EU5C-SWD-DP Gateway Profibus DP. And connected to this gateway is ten Eaton PKE-SWD-32 modules on relays to motors.

Now. My question is how I can find what address the different flags (inside the program of the Saia PLC) refers to regarding the different modules. And secondly everything else that could be good to know regarding profibus. Any help what so ever is greatly appreciated - thank you very much =D

Well, fine. i guess this one's on me for not taking into consideration that there's not that many Saia vets here. but trust me. I will become an expert at Saia, and then i'll be the one at this place people can talk to about their questions regarding Saia PLC's ^^

Saia has an almost zero market penetration. The lack of responses here reflects that.
So you have a machine with said combination of components. I am guessing it is a way to make it impossible to reverse-engineer (just kidding, but maybe not all wrong).
I would contact the original manufacturer to get the documentation needed to be able to maintain the machine by yourself. If they refuse that, then you have to decide if you want to attempt to tinker with it by yourself, possibly messing things up. Without the original Profibus configuration it will be very difficult.

Well, they did a hell of a job here. Every other PLC is a Saia =P
But yeah. i guess I'll figure this out by myself. We've contacted the engineer who built this in the first place (former employee here, my predecessor), and he'll come around tomorrow to explain how stuff's done here regarding Saias.

Like I said. I'll find my own little niche way to contribute to this forum ^^

So it was an in-house decision.
I have seen some machine manufacturers with some 'exotic' PLCs. Often to squeze the price to the absolutely lowest possible.
For factories with in-house control design, I often see the opposite. That they go by one of the bigger players, and often overdimension the control system - f.ex. using an S7-400 where a S7-300 would be plenty enough, or ControlLogix where CompactLogix would be enough.
I may sound as I am slamming the smaller PLC players, but there has to be very good reasons to not go by one of the bigger PLC players.
The use of a gateway to get to the i/o also sounds suspicious.

I bet.

From what I was told the reason for using this system instead of all the smaller systems, is to have one cabinet wich contains a controller for all of the various jobs about instead of a a bunch of smaller cabinets scattered around.

And not to mention the 'future'. How taking this step will bring us to the future ^^

Now now. I am fairly certain that the kind of PLC has been decided on a few engineers back. Since there's so many of them here. And presumably the previous engineer simply went with the flow. Although he has every oppertunity to change it all one by one, I guess he just didn't care for the extra work =P

I looked up the Eaton EU5C-SWD-DP. It seems to me it is a gateway between profibus and the (yet another, sigh!) Smartwire bus from Eaton. It is a flat multicore wire to the starters, eh?
In that case, it is not a RS232 but a DP interface on the Saia.
Some of the Saia's can be programmed with Step7. You are not that lucky, are you?

Kalle

Yes, pardon me. I realize that it's not a RS232 =P

But that's not really an issue as to how they're programmed, seeing as i have all the neccessery tools to make adjustments to at least the PLC's ...

Well, allright. So I've finally figured the stuff out. If anyone is interested, I now know how to configure Saia to profibus with Eaton components ^^