Message Instruction Path assignment - looking for ideas

Mark Whitt

Thanks for taking the time to read about my dilemma!

I'm in the process of writing a Test Program that needs to be able to test many different kinds of devices from a ControlLogix Processor over Ethernet/IP, and I'd like to be able to assign an IP address to the device under test and have it come in on one of the Generic Ethernet Modules that I’ve already set up with a pre-existing IP Address.

The problem I'm running into that there will be a lot of different kinds of Generic Modules, each with their own I/O Assembly instances and data sizes. But I’ll only be testing a few devices at a time, so I don’t really want to set up a bunch of message instructions for each Generic Module because that would translate into a huge program very quickly.

Instead, I'd like to use a single Message Instruction and update the connection path with the IP address already stored in the desired Generic Module as needed so that the message goes out to the device that I'm currently testing.

But I'm not seeing a way to grab the IP address out of the Generic Modules from the program so I can plug them into the Message Instruction path. It seems like this should be possible since you can select the module from the Path Browse button.

My first thought was the GSV/SSV instructions. But so far I'm not seeing how to make them work for this purpose.

I guess I could keep a separate list of the IP addresses and plug them in as needed. But I don't like taking the risk of a typo causing a problem, or having the list updated later (maybe by someone else that doesn't understand the system) and having everything get out of sync. So, I'd prefer to get the IP address directly from the module I'm trying to use.

But maybe my thinking is too narrow. Maybe there is a different way to do the same thing?

If someone could point the way, it would save me coding up tons of redundant message instructions along with the code it would take to decide which ones to use.

Thanks again for your time!

Mark