Learning about robots.

Elcan

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi all,
I would like to learn about industrial robots, and I need some guidance.
Could you recommend specific documentation, like tutorials or manuals?
Could you point me to good online courses?
Do I need to take brand specific classes, like ABB or Fanuc?
I'm totally new at robotics and I don't know where to start...

Thank you!

Epson RC+ software is free to download, it has a simulator you can write programs and have the sim robot moving. Manuals are quite good at taking you through it. You can even simulate vision by taking a static image and importing it.

Epson RC+ software is free to download, it has a simulator you can write programs and have the sim robot moving. Manuals are quite good at taking you through it. You can even simulate vision by taking a static image and importing it.
Great tip! Thank you.

Thanks for this. Like others in this thread I'd also like to learn about robot programming. I looked for this software on the Epson websites (both US and UK) and could only find free updates. These need a full version already installed. For full version downloads I found references to request a quote. Which seems to indicate the software is not available free of charge. Am I missing something?

Am I missing something?

No, your are not...The 'Robot World' is enveloped in secrecy...:D...In my not quite extensive robotics knowledge, except for ABB and Kuka, all other manufacturers' documentation is available only at a cost...Either purchase it directly (with a Part # assigned to it in Fanuc's case!) or you will need to buy a robot which's 'package' will contain several relevant manuals.

Hmm, well it was free for me to download, the link was supplied via a distributor. The site was Epson Europe, but I've checked there and it's not publicly listed... I guess ask your local distributor as mine gave it out long before a robot was purchased...