options

Prayder

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have been tasked with taking multiple machine centers in the plant and relaying the I/O points from each machine center back to a central PLC rack somewhere else in the plant. They are wanting to minimize wires and hardware so I was wondering is there a way that each machine center can be linked to a gateway sending its I/O points back to a centrally located PLC within the plant? They are not wanting any remote racks anywhere. I was told they want the field devices connected directly to the "gateway" individually and the gateway communicating back to the PLC.

What kind of hardware is currently being used that you need to get the I/O points from? What are you sending them to? Are these pieces of hardware networked together? If so, what kind of network? We are going to need a lot more specific information to be able to up with any kind of of solution.

This would be a new set up of sorts. Hypothetical situation being referred to. We do have about 40 different machine centers that we are wanting to connect. Not sure what is in existence right now though pertaining to the 40 different machines.

The short answer is yes. If, for example, you were to have CompactLogix at all of the machine centers running their operations they could all be connected via Ethernet to a central switch linking them to a ControlLogix which could be collecting all of the needed I/O points. With it being Ethernet there would only be the CAT5/6 cables between devices.

When you say machine centers, do you mean a CNC, or something like this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_control_center

it is totally possible to do everything over Ethernet, if you have the right HW. No need to wire individual IO points. If you don't already have the right HW, then it becomes much harder to make that happen.

If you pay extra on new MCCs, you can usually get smart versions that will do Ethernet comms, even safety over Ethernet. If you have old existing ones, it'd probably require a retrofit, or you can do IO wiring. For CNCs, the answer is pretty much the same.

It sounds to me like somebody got the bright idea to have one PLC controlling all 40 centers.
If that is the case discourage it. It's a very bad idea while one PLC can probably do it what happens when you have a fault, all 40 centers will go down at the same time.
You can have 40 centers each with there own plc controlling them and one plc or even one HMI connected to all 40 centers to monitor them and data collection that's done all the time.

I agree with GaryS,

if this plan is implemented and the plc dies or faults, all the machines will go down. I wouldn't want to be the one who tells the boss the plant died due to plc faulting.

I would let each machine have its own plc, then use ethernet / fiber converters to communicate to centralized switches that are then connected to the main switch and plc.
Use hmi system to monitor the plant.

james

Here we go again!

MQTT - with edge of network device. Could handle this application.

Secure, affordable. Read my post "IIOT".

Mr. Arlen Nippers would be happy to guide you (He is the co-inventor) just reach out to him at cirrus link.

I think you will be surprised.

I agree with GaryS,

if this plan is implemented and the plc dies or faults, all the machines will go down. I wouldn't want to be the one who tells the boss the plant died due to plc faulting.

I would let each machine have its own plc, then use ethernet / fiber converters to communicate to centralized switches that are then connected to the main switch and plc.
Use hmi system to monitor the plant.

james

... Or use plc redundancy. So that's 2 plcs instead of 40.