PLC-5 general question

rolandito

Is anyone familiar with the Allen Bradley PLC-5 product history? Was there an original PLC-5 model or has that always described the specific plc family?

In response to a survey of plcs used in a customer's site I received feed back with PLC-5 and PLC-5/40. I'm just wondering if the former is an actual PLC model (such as the original "fixed" SLC) or if it was just that the person did not pay attention to the specific model number.
As you can tell, I'm a noob. :D

Thanks a lot.

Hi,

There has alays been only one PLC-5. The difference came that with later versions the communication modules changed, hence today you have PLC-5 with Ethernet coms not just devicenet or DH+, possibly referred to as PLC-5/40 or something similar to the SLC 504/5 with ethernet. I am more into Clx at the moment.
Cheers
Dieter

You might get a kick out of this and this.

To answer your specific question though - I am not sure if AB had a simple "PLC-5" with no descriptor after it. Judging from the specifications on the bottom of the second link though, I'd guess that they did not.

Marc

I believe there never was a PLC-5, it originated as a family, unlike the original PLC from AB. When first introduced it was what is now called the classic PLC-5; 5/10, 5/15, 5/25. These are the ones without a serial port on the front and limited communication options (DH+ and RIO only I believe).

IIRC it was the early 90s when the Enhanced PLC-5s came out; 5/11, 5/20, 5/30, 5/40, 5/60, .... These have the serial port on the front and various other communication ports like controlnet and ethernet.

If you are going to be working at this customers site I'd ask for clarification on the exact types as it will affect your communication choice for programming. I wouldn't want to show up expecting an enhanced PLC-5 with serial port and find out they have classic PLC-5s that require a ~$1500 DH+ interface card to communicate with.

grs