Red Lion G3 HMI

drawson

I am considering putting a Red Lion G3 HMI into our plant, but I want to interface it with an Allen Bradley Control Logix processor over ethernet. I downloaded the Crimson configuration software and it isn't obvious to me how to setup the communications for Control Logix. Is this doable? I'd certainly prefer not to spend the extra dough on another panelview+.

I'm not 100% sure it will work with control logix, But I am using G3 terminals with SLC5/05 procesors over ethernet and the communications were easily set-up and I've had no problems whatsoever.

drawson said:
I am considering putting a Red Lion G3 HMI into our plant, but I want to interface it with an Allen Bradley Control Logix processor over ethernet. I downloaded the Crimson configuration software and it isn't obvious to me how to setup the communications for Control Logix. Is this doable? I'd certainly prefer not to spend the extra dough on another panelview+.

There is a member of this forum from Red Lion, his name is Dan Yost. Red Lion are beta testing a version of the G3 that can access Clgx tags directly. If you do a member search and contact Dan, he can give you a link to the beta download

Ian

curlyandshemp said:
There is a member of this forum from Red Lion, his name is Dan Yost. Red Lion are beta testing a version of the G3 that can access Clgx tags directly. If you do a member search and contact Dan, he can give you a link to the beta download

Ian

The software is no longer in Beta

Crimson (C2) version 287 is the current download and supports AB's Native Tag Addressing.

See C2 Revison History here.

Apart from the tech note posted heres another tech note on AB Native Tag Support.

How do you guys like Red Lion's Touchpanel?

Do they limit file access to certain data file like Maple System's touchpanel?

harryting said:
How do you guys like Red Lion's Touchpanel?

Do they limit file access to certain data file like Maple System's touchpanel?

I am on my 4th one now, used a 10", 8" and now a 3".

For the money and functionality i think they are excellent.

There tech support is 200%, one of the best i have come across.

I dont know Maple so dont know what you mean by "limit file access"???

We currently have one G303 and two datastations on site, we have been so impressed with these units they have change they way we record data on site, each unit has bee fitted with a flash card and runs it's own web page (and data logger) enabling management to simply visit a web site to get up to the minute data on how the line is running ,we have then linked to the web sites using excel's web query function to enable the data to be imported to excel and displayed how ever management want.The redlions also integrated with our InSQL system via there OPC Server meaning all the data is backed up to the server historically.

The tech support Redlion give is a real eye opener it's shocking just how quick and good they are a lot of companies could learn from them.

harryting, here is a screenshot of the Allen-Bradley tag select screen in the Red Lion software. This should give you an idea of what data files are available.

redlion.jpg

I use the Maple Systems HMI530T and HMI550T when I need an OIT offering good graphics that is inexpensive. If I need any real power, I usually install a Red Lion G306 or G308. Not only do these things communicate with just about anything, they can be programmed in a language that is very similar to C. I use them with AB and GE RX3i controllers and do not recall having any of the addressing issues that Maple Systems has, like not being able to access certain files, ie the ASCII file in the SLC or physical I/O.