OT..Question for Elevator Mike!!

You know what would be nice? If we had someone on this form who knew a thing or two about elevators. ;)

Brian,

Been there... We have a few cement plants. We call them CC jobs. CC stands for Cheap Charlies wich is a local store that sells coveralls for ~$5.00 a pair. In those places it dosnt do any good anyway. Talk about jock itch and butt rash!!

So there's this one plant with two units, both like phone booths. Each placed at either end of the kiln. One is outside, and the other one in the silo end is inside. I'd rather be assigned to the outside elevator in the dead of winter then the inside unit any day of the week.

Ok so the dust is hell on the traction drive sheaves & hoist cables. So when I was an apprentice we removed a sheave for their machine shop to re-grove. They said if we get the sheave on the top landing they will take it from there. So that's what we do. Then they very carefully tape off the floor some hundred feet below the top landing and roll the sheave over the edge... Just as I realize this I inform the guy it was made of cast iron (not steel)....too late.... It took 6 weeks to get a new one. They were forbidden to touch it so we had to hump it all the way up the stairs gasping for breath through our resporators. The sweat is running down my back carring with it lime and all that right into the worst place ever to get a skin rash.

Thank god for witchhazel pads...

Tark said:
You know what would be nice? If we had someone on this form who knew a thing or two about elevators. ;)

I'm getting so good at this I was thinking of signing on to WEB MD as a surgen. The web is a magical place where you can pretend to be anything you want....

Ok folks gotta hot date tonight so have a good one...

The cool thing was we accessed the doors on the next floor and I provided a ladder by which he let himself down onto the car. There are manual controls on top of the car and he brought the top of the car to the opening and we rode the top of the elevator car up and down inspecting the shaft door limits.

Been on couple of these rides myself..Mostly to check and install the smoke detectors that are at the top of the elevator shaft.. NOT cool when your up 22-30 stories AND **** scared of hights!!!

Warning: These machine rooms are VERY DANGEROUS. There's lots of exposed high voltage D.C. and unguarded moving machinery. Snag you pants on a hoist cable and your entire body will be reshaped to fit through a 6" x 8" hole instentanously. Stand too close to a flyball governer and you'll end up with a compound fracture of the tibia. Touch ANYTHING on the controller and you'll dissapear in a poof of smoke. In short, I dont need a video...I've already seen it, thanks anyway.

Not to worry mike..I work in places just as dangerous..We dont go in that room much anyway..just for maintinace of fire alarm or stuff like that..

Fred,

As it turns out many very attractive looking, well built, systems seem to be designed entirely in open loop (no feedback) analog control.....(not to mention a lot of RFI from unknown sources).... This requires quite a bit of mainteniance and frequent very very fine tweeking, which involves a fare amount of trial & error. Lack of documentaion is also an ongoing problem....

You can be as gentle as a kitten, but never forget that your dealing with a man-eating lion.

darrenj said:
Thanks Mike...Damn elevator in that building still gives me the willies...Stoped on me twice today..desended slowly till it hit 15th floor then took off up to 19...Scares the living **** out of me every time!!

I hate heights!!

D

I always take the stairs wherever possible!

elevmike said:
Warning: These machine rooms are VERY DANGEROUS. There's lots of exposed high voltage D.C. and unguarded moving machinery. Snag you pants on a hoist cable and your entire body will be reshaped to fit through a 6" x 8" hole instentanously. Stand too close to a flyball governer and you'll end up with a compound fracture of the tibia. Touch ANYTHING on the controller and you'll dissapear in a poof of smoke. In short, I dont need a video...I've already seen it, thanks anyway.

Makes me feel at home :)

elevmike said:
Fred,

As it turns out many very attractive looking, well built, systems seem to be designed entirely in open loop (no feedback) analog control.....(not to mention a lot of RFI from unknown sources).... This requires quite a bit of mainteniance and frequent very very fine tweeking, which involves a fare amount of trial & error. Lack of documentaion is also an ongoing problem....

You can be as gentle as a kitten, but never forget that your dealing with a man-eating lion.

funny,,every time ive tried 'fine tuning' i find it was my system tuning me,,seems that no matter how much work you put into keeping these systems running,,the end result is more investment and attempts at preventative maintenance,,

Fred Raud

ps,,hopefully your able to give this system a thorough trial run before the purchase,,

Word of Warning.. These systems are potentially explosive..Espesially if you have 2 systems running at the same time..

Actually elevators are statistacly something like 1000 x safer then stairs. As a matter of fact they are more then 100 x safer then the next safest form of transportation, (air travel). Per passenger mile.

ps,,hopefully your able to give this system a thorough trial run before the purchase,,

I tried that, however they prove to be very dynamic due to the fuzzy logic programming issue....So the past maintenance history seems to hold no indication of the future problems your likely to encounter as ever changing enviromental conditions are very diffucult to predict...

Word of Warning.. These systems are potentially explosive..Espesially if you have 2 systems running at the same time..

Darren, I've never had the guts to try maintaining multiable systems. This is due to the fact that when others that I know do attempt this, the two systems always seem to link via a broadband comm network, which usually brings both systems into a disreparable condition.

elevmike said:

Actually elevators are statistical something like 1000 x safer then stairs. As a matter of fact they are more then 100 x safer then the next safest form of transportation, (air travel). Per passenger mile.

Funny you should bring that up Mike..

We are just winding down a project and are in the clean up Phase..My spiteful elevator is the only one that goes to the floor where the work is on..(The "Service" elevator..

That poor elevator had to of made about 100 trips per hour for about 8 or 10 hours that day..There was 5 contractors moving out..

I wouldn't dought riding in an elevator is safer that flying...(btw Did i mention i don't like hieghts??..I don't like flying either!!! :) )

Last edited:
elevmike said:

Darren, I've never had the guts to try maintaining multiable systems. This is due to the fact that when others that I know do attempt this, the two systems always seem to link via a broadband comm network, which usually brings both systems into a disreparable condition.

While i to have never risked running 2 systems at the same time due to the risk of total system shut down..i have found that these systems are receptive to presious Gems..I have found that a Gem or two will usualy allow an operator to do what they want with the system..

Darren,

That just goes to show you what faulty programming can do... There's nothing more usless then many of the VERY EXPENSIVE manintenance sundries these systems demand to keep on running with out making too much noise.

If you want my opinion, whoever wrote the specs for these things, deserves a good kick in the *ss....