PLC 5 and MOTION CONTROL

Hello all

This is RsviewRulz, just a different nic.

I wanted to follow up with a this post and ask a few questions about SICK DME5000’s

I ended up using the Trimble laser. It had motion control built in and worked very well most of the time. They (Trimble) seemed to have a problem with devicenet and to this day it has occasional fits that leads to a reset of power to restore communications. After a year or so of service, Trimble decided to not continue production of this laser and stopped servicing them as well. So, that left us with needing a spare and me with a new SICK DME5000 on my desk.

What a nice unit! Simple and straightforward. No motion control built in but with what need to do as far as positioning, this won’t be an issue. I am testing it over Devicenet and so far, all is working well

My question for you guru’s of math functions

I am using PLC5 (still) and have no way to change this at this time. As we all know, integers are only -32767 to 32767. The laser feeds data into the table in this format

Byte 0 – Position Value (low byte attribute 10)

Byte 1 – Position Value

Byte 2 – Position Value

Byte 3 – Position Value (high byte attribute 10)

The laser displays data on the onboard screen as an example as +002.228 meters. This is transmitted to the plc (byte 0) as 22281. I am sure that the laser resolution for the screen only goes to 3 decimals points.

When I go to a feed back reading of say +5.171 meters, I get a reading to the plc of –13818

Using the Trimble laser, I had to do the same conversion. For all intensive purposes it works but it is bulky and I would like to learn a new/different way to convert this data

I included a copy of this code with the post to review. Most of you most likey are aware of this conversion. (I struggled with it)
Any thoughts would be appreciated and anything anyone has to say about the SICK DME5000 would be appreciated as well.

Thanks for all the fantastic input posted here in the past.

This place is really a great place to gather technical data!