OPC Server to Any Client

randheerp

Hi,

With my knowledge we can take data from any OPC Server using any OPC Client.

But yesterday when i asked to the GE's support, they told that IGS OPC server(GE intelligent Platforms)with Kepware Data Logger (to log data to database directly from OPC Server) won't work?

Any thoughts...?

BTW, Merry Christmas...

Randheer

Last edited:
Hello,

There are three types of OPC server, DA (Data Access), AE (Alarms and Events) and HDA (Historical Data Access).

The client must support the server type.

Looking on the web, I do not see why it would not work.

Ask Kepware.

Exactly Mark...It should work. IGS Server supports OPC UA as well as OPC DA Clients. But they clearly said it won't work.

Here in India both IGS and Kepware dealers are the same. So...

Have anybody tested it?

Last edited:
Hello,

> But they clearly said it won't work.

Maybe "they" are misinformed. Send an email to Kepware US support.

PeakHMI could perform the task.

When I tested this, I could't browse and connect 3rd party OPC Servers from Kepware Data Logger...

So Kepware Data Logger is not independent and can be connected only to Kepware OPC servers. :(

Last edited:
Hello,

From a press release:

Kepware Technologies releases enhanced OPC server with plug-in component for logging
PLC data to ODBC databases.

From the product page:

The DataLogger is an easy-to-configure application that logs data from an OPC server to any ODBC-compliant database.

“An” in this case I guess means “a Kepware OPC server”.

I highlighted the red.

Try the demo for PeakHMI. You might like it. I do :)

Randheer,

I believe the incompatibility issue stems from the fact that the GE server is an OEM version developed by Kepware specifically for GE. As such, other elements of Kepware's product plug-ins, such as data logger may not be compatible, because they are outside of the scope of the OEM agreement.

There are a few people from Kepware who also participate on this forum. If I am incorrect in my assessment, they will certainly provide a correct response.

Disclosure - ESI is a Kepware Distributor

Hello, Stephen is correct. The IGS Server does not include all of the plug-ins that KEPServerEX includes. You can use KEPServerEX, It will include the IDS interface for iFix or OPC for Cimplicity. This then allows the logging of data, via ODBC, to Access, MS SQL, MySQL, or Oracle databases with DataLogger. You also have the benefit of getting access to all of the data via any number of client applications. The beauty of the servers design allows multiple types of clients to be connected at the same time.

Randheer,

If you are looking for further information regarding Kepware's products or are looking to purchase, feel free to contact me through pm on this site or by the email link included below in my signature.

The latest version of Kepware's server - KepserverEX 5.10 can be downloaded directly from ESI's web site:

http://www.eternity-sales.com/Kepware/kepwaredownloads.htm

This download is fully functional, but limited to a 2 hour run license per session. Download it and work with it. If / when you are ready to purchase, let me know and we can put together a solution based on your requirements.

Our web site also includes product information and manuals.

http://www.eternity-sales.com/Kepware/Kepware.htm

Disclosure - Eternity Sales is an authorized Kepware distributor.