What to learn to get hired?

ji9qd

Graduating with a BS in Computer Engineering in May. Taking a very hands-on oriented PLC class this semester, and another next semester. Does anyone have any advice on something I might be able to learn on my own that would increase my desirability and get me hired? Currently working with Siemens S7, AB ControlLogix and PLC-5.

You don't say what kind of job you want. Nor what kind of facility. Are you good with your hands? Interested in field work or office only? A few more details might get you a better answer.

This info is gold

The PLC is just one tool. Learn about drives, motion controllers, hydraulics, pneumatics, discrete and analog sensors, etc.
Good info.

The most important thing it to learn how things work. You have to learn the physics and math to do the physics.

I sell motion controllers but I will be the first to tell you they are just tools to get a job done. So are PLCs. So are the languages you learn. These things will change over your life but the physics and math will not. I call this 'forever knowledge'.

Ok, getting a BS in Computer Engineering, so physics and math are fine. I really like the programming aspect of PLCs, but like the hands-on aspect as well. I have worked in factories before, as an assembly line grunt and such, so I'm kinda mechanically inclined.

Well it's a little late in the game to think you'll really learn some of the topics mentioned during your final semester (I'm assuming your fall semester course load is set).

Peter has great advice, but keep in mind it's not just about theoretical math and physics, it's about being able to apply that knowledge to the "real world". If you can't look at the real world environment and apply the theory you're missing a big puzzle piece that isn't something you are just "taught" in coursework.

At this point, if you feel like you want to get into the industry focus on your core skill set you have with your degree and figure out how to make that valuable. You strengths are to cater to the increasing need for plant floor data to get off the plant floor and into the decision makers hands. There is a huge need for database structures, reporting services, network design, MES integration, high availability hardware/software...etc. All of this is above a typical "PLC Programmer's" skill set, and falls into the "Computer Engineering" skill set. This is your inroad to a Systems Integrator or other such automation provider. From there you'll pick up expertise mentioned here from experience and learning from your co-workers and of course, continuing self-eduction.

That is how you sell yourself to a prospective employer, from now until May understand the industry needs as Control Engineer duties are merging with traditional "IT" duties. Sell yourself as someone who can bridge that gap. This will all be self-education as you will need to read-up on the industry trends. It won't be presented in a course.

Go into interviews understanding the industry needs as it relates to the gap that exists between a "PLC Programmer" and an "IT" person. Sell yourself here.

Last edited:
Thank you paully, that's the kind of info I was looking for, stuff I could learn in my own time. I think I'm going to try to learn SQL so I can add databases to my resume. Anything else that would come in handy? Please, the more specific the better.

Thank you paully, that's the kind of info I was looking for, stuff I could learn in my own time. I think I'm going to try to learn SQL so I can add databases to my resume. Anything else that would come in handy? Please, the more specific the better.

Computer Engineering and you aren't familiar with SQL? I'm very surprised, much of my advice was assuming that you had that fundamental background.

SQL you can partially learn on your own, but always better if you've done projects within your coursework to demonstrate your ability. For what I was referring to you really need to be able to hit the ground running.

Mind posting the requirements for "Computer Engineering"? I'm curious of the coursework you've taken.

Databases is on a more cs path, I took the more electrical path with embedded systems mixed in. C, c++, some c#, 8051 asm, ARM asm, embedded c. I think one of my classes will be hitting SQL briefly later this semester. I've taken network design, electronics classes, discrete linear systems, I'm down to a couple electives left to take from electrical eng, or comp sci departments.

I have a degree in EE and computer engineer. Except for that fact I could evaluate micro controllers it hasn't done me much good.
I swear that there was little I learned in my junior year in college turned out to be useful.

The math and numerical analysis classes are the ones I have found most useful from college.

We didn't have PLCs back then. Microcontrollers were just appearing.

C, C++ - whoowho! Learn about control systems, design and implementation, control circuit design, trouble shooting including hard wired logic. Most control systems have hard wired logic.
A bit of paper to me is useless - a wealth of knowledge and experience is. Hard to get there though.
I am an old fashioned hard liner - I always look for an electrical fitter who has gone on and done something further down the line. That is my background and never a regret.
I have an Electrical Engineering certificate, Business Management Degree, Marketing Management Degree, various certificates in the instrumentation area.
I would try to get a job in a systems house if I were you - they have people from virtually every discipline and they all learn from each other. They also work as a team - read plenty of spread sheets running around between the various disciplines.
Not my bag - I am a loner - but I have some very good friends who have worked in a systems house and they have learned from everyone else and are very good at what they do.

C, C++ - whoowho! Learn about control systems, design and implementation, control circuit design, trouble shooting including hard wired logic. Most control systems have hard wired logic.
A bit of paper to me is useless - a wealth of knowledge and experience is. Hard to get there though.
I am an old fashioned hard liner - I always look for an electrical fitter who has gone on and done something further down the line. That is my background and never a regret.
I have an Electrical Engineering certificate, Business Management Degree, Marketing Management Degree, various certificates in the instrumentation area.
I would try to get a job in a systems house if I were you - they have people from virtually every discipline and they all learn from each other. They also work as a team - read plenty of spread sheets running around between the various disciplines.
Not my bag - I am a loner - but I have some very good friends who have worked in a systems house and they have learned from everyone else and are very good at what they do.

You'll notice I said I'm trying to get into the field, and that I DON'T have experience.. I don't understand the hostility some people seem to have for the idea that companies actually do want people who have a degree to go in at the entry level. Are you old timers afraid you are going to be replaced? The fact is, the first generation of control engineers are starting to retire, and we are needed to replace them. I want to find a company where I can get into an entry level position and be able to learn from people who've been around. I do appreciate your reply though, as condescending as it sounded.

I think what BobB was implying is what I believe: Get some field experience, then go to school. Advanced schooling is kinda lost on someone who doesn't yet even know what they don't know. Without the experience of installing and trouble-shooting, how do you even know where best to focus your time, money, and attention at school? Apprentice type training is exceptionally valuable. It is so (sadly) common today to find folks who have no concept of how SCADA knows whether a valve is open or shut, much less how to cause it to change position or modulate. Experienced people will tell you that those basics are key. Then get into database mastery, when you fully understand what it is you actually are documenting. This is not eloquent, but I hope you take it in the vein it is intended.

Java, Python, Ignition (Inductive Automation) might would be some good things to know, That you could learn on your own in your spare time.