OT - USB memory stick has suddenly died ...

my problem is SOLVED ...

the EaseUS program that MitsM83 recommended did the trick ...

I'll post more in a day or so - but $69.95 is allowing me to happily recover my files ...

Thank you to everyone who responded ... I appreciate your help - and your sympathy ...

Once you have your files Ron, you should give testdisk a try. if it works, you might have a free option next time. You can compare which one will give you the better result.

Testdisk is available for Windows as well. I have used Testdisk when partition entries get corrupt.

I have also used ddrescue on Linux when trying to recover from a damaged harddrive with bad sectors... Windows would just freeze trying to read damaged sectors.

I have recovered one using some software called I think easeus. You might try it worked for me a few years ago. I can not access the site form my work PC due to those pesky IT guys so I can not link you. Should be able to google easeus though. I no longer have the PC it was installed on But I am pretty sure this is the one that worked after trying a few.

I second easeus partition manager. It's one of the programs I always install when reinstalling Windows.

Had a 16GB MicroSD card in my phone go bad, had me think the whole phone gave up to the point that I did a hard reset. Found out later it was unnecessary. šŸ™ƒ I found and tried the EaseUS Data Recovery software. After all the research, reading and comparing it looked very promising, but the card was too far gone...:cry: Still have the software on my laptop...

Not to worry, this should be straightforward. Although feel free to ask again if the following method does not work.

Firstly, find out the drive letter that your USB stick is. Let's say for argument's sake that it is the F drive.

Go to the start menu, and search for "run". Open that and type CMD. Depending on your Windows version, you can simply type CMD into the search bar and open the Command Prompt.

When this is open, type the following, without the brackets: [Chkdsk F: /r] Also remember that I am using the letter F as a reference, yours may be another but you can find it in My Computer.

Back to the point, when you have pressed enter, it will start repairing damaged files and you will see some of your filenames (relief!) before it finally asks if you want to save lost chains into another location. These are essentially remnants of damaged files, I tend to click "Yes" just in case.

You might be able to recover those files if they are not overwritten. What you need is a Application that can rebuild the Partition like iBoysoft Data Recovery Program which is
a little bit expensive but effective.

Moral of the story: Backup your important files, and for the love of God don't keep the only copy on a flash drive.

I feel for you I had a 250G WD USB drive I used for a about 3 years until I got the that message lost everything on it big loss
i tried windows format, repartition and low level format
ran the diagnostic all failed so I just had to toss it I went to a cloud drive on my local network
That maybe the best thing I could have done

The technology behind "flash" memory is not as robust as some advertisements will lead you to believe.

Both of the SSD drives in my 2 laptops died within a year, and I've had no end of failures with USB memory sticks that were not subjected to extreme usage.

Yeah I bought "low cost", but there in no getting around the number of write cycles that flash memory can endure before it gets unreliable, and don't forget that Windoze reads and writes the "virtual memory" pagefile continuously.

My laptops have gone back to high spec spinning disks, and I use USB memory sticks only to transfer files to another machine that I can't connect to on my network, and I always use 2 sticks - just in case, and sometimes I'll burn a CD or DVD as well !!

I heard a lot of horror stories on SSD when they first came out. Now our whole companies of thousands are using SSD laptop but I haven't heard much failure lately so I think they made a lot of progress. I have quite a lot industrial PC out there with high-grade SSD and haven't had a failure yet. On paper at least, the new higher grade SSD should outlast just about any platter drive.