PLC5/15 DH+ Communications

randy@43323

I have customer with a PLC5/15 that has only DH+ type communications. He presently has this tied to RS View 32 server. I need to communicate to the PLC5/15 through Ethernet/IP. If I get a Ethernet/IP to DH+ converter, can I access the same node using both?

Not sure what you mean by "can I access the same node using both". What exactly are you going to do with the Ethernet IP connection?

If you are looking to go online with the PLC5/15 or use messaging to a Logix processor, your best bet may be to create an Ethernet bridge using a 1756 I/O rack, 1756-ENBT Ethernet card and a 1756-DHRIO DH+/Remote I/O card.

There is no Ethernet side card option available for the 5/15.

You could access the PLC5/15 via the on-board Serial-RS232 port using the DF1 protocol.

There are available third party DH+/EIP Gateways; I'd choose ProSoft:
http://www.prosoft-technology.com/P...-IP-to-Allen-Bradley-Remote-I-O-or-DH-Gateway

If you have a nearby functional, EIP networked ControlLogix system with a spare slot within the Local chassis a 1756-DHRIO module could bridge any existing EIP subnets to a DH+ network.

PLC-5/15 was one of the original "Classic" models and has only the DH+ port.

No RS-232 port was available on these (you had to use a DH+/RS232 like a 1770-KF2 or a 1771-KE), and the "Ethernet Sidecar" is for the Enhanced controllers only.

EquusTek and Automation Networks both offer a DH+ to EtherNet/IP converter.

I have to abstain from comment on those devices because I have no direct experience with them, and because I'm still holding a grudge about their patent violations in the 1990's.

A more expensive but supported and approved DH+ to EtherNet/IP gateway device is built by QTS in Florida and sold and supported by Prosoft. QTS works closely with Rockwell, to the point where you'll find the QTS silkscreen on the main board of the 1756-RIO module.

http://www.qtsusa.com/ab.html

Last edited:
or maybe replace the 5/15 with a PLC-5/20E ...

the E on the end gives you Ethernet ... without the E you'd still get an RS232 serial port ...

short on time - but something else to think about ...

NOTE: do NOT opt for a PLC-5/25 ... even though the number is higher than 20 that's still an older "classic" with only DH+ communications ...

Hi randy@43323,
I have the same question as RonJohn. What are you trying to connect to over Ethernet I/P? Are you trying to get online access remotely, and hence Ethernet? Are you trying to take the data from the PLC5/15 and send that out over Ethernet I/P to a network?

Based on the answers above, ProSoft may be one solution for you, OR EZAutomation has an HMI that can talk both DH+ and Ethernet I/P simultaneously convert the data using its Protocol conversion feature from DH+ to Ethernet I/P. See link below.

http://www.ezautomation.net/ez3series/ez3series-dhplus-remoteio.htm

Others mentioned the details (1756-DHRIO, Prosoft gateway, etc).

Once you have that, you can add this gateway as a node on your DH+ network (DH+ supports up to 64 nodes). As long as you have a unique node address, it won't impact the existing communication between the PLC and your RSView. You then can access the PLC to go online through this gateway. In fact you may be able to migrate your RSView application through this gateway if you are currently using an obsolete proprietary DH+ card.

What "Ethernet I/P" functionality is required? A PC can see access the PLC through this gateway, and can even access data via OPC / DDE.

A Logix processor can do DH+ messaging to this processor. The "Path" tab of a PLC5 Typed Read/Write Message would specify the path to the DHRIO card (even in a remote Ethernet connected rack), then the DH+ message details can handle the node number.

If you need the PLC5 to message out to another PLC, you will need to set up a "Routing table" (or have a Logix processor in the same rack as the DHRIO card) . Don't know if Prosoft supports routing tables, but the DHRIO does.

If you have a TechConnect contract March 2017 TechConnect Genius Webinar - Messaging Across DH+ and DH485 AnswerID 1041793 Has details on how to set up these routing tables.

Only Enhanced PLC-5 processors can natively support Ethernet, and only above a certain revision can natively support Ethernet I/P, however it's not a full blown implementation like Logix, so it can't really be used for IO.

Doing anything with the ancient PLC5 will be quite expensive, and will only give temporary relief. It will not avoid you from replacing the entire PLC5 rack eventually. The money and effort that is spent to essentially keep the PLC5 will be a waste - IMO.
Since you have an immediate reason to do something right now, then maybe it is the time to do the inevitable, replace the entire PLC5 rack for something more uptodate.

If I get a Ethernet/IP to DH+ converter, can I access the same node using both?

I would think so... I can check later this week if needed, I dont think anyone answered your question, I know the 5/04's are connected inside so since the PLC 5 also has two DH+ ports your asking can you leave one on DH+ and the other convert to Ethernet, correct?

I do have a couple options that may help, Ron suggestion of a 20e

https://www.plccable.com/allen-bradley-1785-l20e-e-plc-5-20e-ethernet-series-e-1785-l20e-e/

We also sell DH+ Gateways that convert to Ethernet and you could use this on one of the DH+ connection on the PLC5

https://www.plccable.com/ethernet-i...way-plus-dh-gateway-converter-ethernet-ip-dh/

Give me a call if you want me to test it out, I think I have a 5/15 but would need to dig it up