HELP! Factorytalk view studio Glitch

Aggregateman

Hi everyone, I've got a laptop that has windows 10(I didn't have a choice) and I'm trying to set up communications in view studio, every time I try to set up communications it shows this glitch screen then I have to close the program through task manager. Has anyone encountered this problem?

See attached image:

IMG_7211.jpg

What version of FactoryTalk View Studio Machine Edition did you install ?

Is it Windows 10 Professional ? Are you running as an Administrator account ?

Are you sure that RSLinx Enterprise got installed along with FTView Studio ME ?

If we zoom in on the diagnostics window at the bottom of the screenshot we can see that the Project Directory Server for RSLinx Enterprise is active and available on computer "DESKTOP F8NM91P". So it would appear to be installed and running correctly.

We can also take note that your software product is not Activated at the time of this screenshot and is currently running under the 7 day Grace Period. But that may not be of significance here.

I've found this on the Knowledgebase, and pending the provision of your FactoryTalk View Studio version, it may be pertinent...

568264 - RSLinx Enterprise communication setup window flickers several times and crashes
Access Level: TechConnect

Hopefully it's as simple as that? If you cannot access that technote then let us know and we'll guide you in the right direction.

Regards,
George

Had exactly the same thing.

To resolve, play with your text size and your resolution. It will come back.

For example I have to run my RA VM at 1920 x 1080 and text at 100% to stop this happening.

My laptop host is 2880 x 1620.

For the benefit of members who may not be able to access the above technote...

janner_10 said:
...To resolve, play with your text size and your resolution. It will come back...

What janner_10 is outlining is essentially the same as the advice given in the technote. While it specifically references FactoryTalk View Studio v7.00, when used under Windows XP, 7 or 10, it may possibly be observed in versions other than v7.00 i.e. if you are using a later version and experiencing similar issues then the advice to adjust the OS text DPI setting would, I'm sure, still be a valid solution.

janner_10 said:
...For example I have to run my RA VM at 1920 x 1080 and text at 100% to stop this happening.

My laptop host is 2880 x 1620.

Also, if adjusting your VM DPI setting does not resolve the issue, you are advised to also adjust the Host DPI setting, as the VM session does rely on certain drivers that are loaded and running on the Host.

Regards,
George

Last edited:
Interesting. A lot of our new PCs as given by IT have the DPI setting increased to 125% or higher for some reason. I was annoyed to see this carry through to a VM guest.

The only glitch I've run into was the icon sizes in RSWho become novelty sized. Good to file this away as another reason to set the DPI back to 100%.

I'm running FactoryTalk View Studio Version 11. On Windows 7 Pro at 3200 x 1800 resolution. I usually keep my DPI at 150%. But, I have to lower it to 100% to avoid that glitch when I run FactoryTalk View Studio.

I am able to leave my screen resolution alone.

So, It seems that the glitch is still present in version 11.