Download prog from Powerflex40 with 1203

CincyDutch

Hi Guys!

First of all let me tell you that I am not a programmer or anything close to it.
I know the little things I know because of PLCtalk, youtube google etc.

We have some Powerflex drives on devicenet. I want to download the programs and save them with a AB 1203 USB converter.
The powerflex 4's were easy. But for some reason, the converter doesnt recognize the drive.

Any pointers?
Thanks!!(y)

I use connected component workbench.
But the 1203 blinks red and I cant get the driver in RSlinks to "find" the drive.

Or should I use a regular Ethernet cable instead?

We use drive executive and drive explorer to get the drive parameters / write the parameters.
I do not believe that what you have will work, I could be wrong.
I would call your local rep and see what he says.

I am also not sure if these programs will work with power flex 4.
james

Last edited:
I do not believe that what you have will work, I could be wrong.
I use CCW alll the time to backup PF40 drive parameters, I do a print-to-pdf. Though I am usually connecting through a 22-COMM-E, I would have to imagine that a 22-COMM-D would also work, it is a communications module after all...

I am also not sure if these programs will work with power flex 4.
I am interested in knowing how one would be able to connect to a PF4....? Are there comms modules that you can add to a 4?

Thanks for letting me know that ccw will work with power flex 40.
pf4 was before pf40, so I do not know the answer on that one.
I am also referring to the drive software working with pf4 models.
I would call your ab rep for help.

james

I am interested in knowing how one would be able to connect to a PF4....? Are there comms modules that you can add to a 4?

Ha! Answered my own question... According to this Rockwell UM (page 7), you use a 22-XCOMM-DC-BASE to connect to a PF4 using the DSI port. You can add Ethernet, DeviceNet, ControlNet, etc. modules. Never knew it...

This probably doesn't help the OP, but we are trying our best to answer questions aren't we? Even if I am the one that asked...

The other methods mentioned will work, here's another one.
Anaconda cable is great to keep around and it will do the trick. It's old school and uses serial port. You can use drives executive or CCW. Both will work.
PN 1203-sss
I attached pictures of the cable. You see why its called anaconda.

IMG_0011.JPG IMG_0012.JPG

The 1203-USB should be able to connect to any of the PF4x models you would need to use RJ45 plug to the 1203-USB to the PF4x, the mini din plug is used on the PF7x drives.

Alan.