Allen Bradley Controller OPC Server

Willheisen

Hello everyone,

Our system is composed with a computer where a C++ homemade program is running.
This application gets/sends data using a OPC Server (Softnet for the Siemens PLC) installed for Siemens PLC.
However, one of your customers has replaced its Siemens S7-300 PLC to a Allen-Bradley L1756-L81E.
I read that the RSLinx Classic Single Node can be used as OPC Server, is that correct?
Then it is necessary to change the network configuration in PLC program?

I also read for this forum that RSLinx OPC server doesn't work properly ans someone suggested Matrikon OPC Server. Kepware also provide OPC Server. Are they better or worse than Matrikon servers?

Thanks

I read that the RSLinx Classic Single Node can be used as OPC Server, is that correct?
Yes
Then it is necessary to change the network configuration in PLC program?
Not really; RSLinx Classic Single Node will need to run on the same PC as the C++ application while said machine will need to be networked within the same subnet as the 1756-L81 controller onboard ENet port or within any Local chassis present 1756-ENB(2, 3)T ENet bridges subnets. You will only need to configure a RSLinx Classic 'Topic' pointing to the CLX controller. Said 'Topic' will implement the C++ app-to-CLX 'connectivity'; for 'Remote' applicability (RSLinx Classic installed and running on a different machine than the C++ app) you will need to use the RSLinx Classic Gateway 'flavor'.
I also read for this forum that RSLinx OPC server doesn't work properly...
I dunno about that...It works just as advertised, at least IMHO...I lost count of my own successful implementations...

Of course you could use any mainstream OPC Server (such as Kepware), however, I have always tried to use a minimal number of manufacturers/developers in any implemented application...Since the C++ app is home-made, I'd go with RSLinx Classic since it is native to the AB/RA platform.

Thanks a lot for your quick answer.
Now I'll have to order RSLinx Classic Single Node. Do you have an idea of the cost of this?

Since your application is already written to work with an OPC server, it is probably to your advantage to stick with an OPC server.

if you were starting from scratch or your application was small, it may be better to go another route besides OPC because it can be much lighter weight , have more flexible licensing options, and be lower cost.

Not too long ago I did a simple benchmark speed test comparing several different drivers and RSLinx was the slowest by quite a bit. You can see the results here:

https://www.advancedhmi.com/forum/index.php?topic=939.msg4818#msg4818

Kepware was the other OPC server in the test and you can see it was even much faster than RSLinx

Do you have an idea of the cost of this?

I could't really tell you...My RA ProposalWorks did not return a price...Last time (a couple of years ago) I had priced it I believe it went for less than $400 US.
Just contact you local Allen-Bradley/Rockwell distributor;he should be able to come up with a quick and most likely more accurate answer. There is an available French version too.

Thanks a lot for your quick answer.
Now I'll have to order RSLinx Classic Single Node. Do you have an idea of the cost of this?

If you are referring to RSLinx Classic OEM, the price is upwards of 800 USD. A more cost effective, and in some ways better, option is FactoryTalk Gateway. This product allows changes to the OPC configuration while running as a service.

With RSLinx Classic, you have to run in non-service mode to get the front-end where OPC topics are managed. This can be a problem in an environment where the RSLinx runs as a service, and cannot be shut-down and restarted as a user application without disrupting dependent applications.

Ingear Sololink for one PLC $325
they even have a free trial to test before you buy
the last time i priced RSLinx it was way out there

Thanks for yours answers!!! :site:

So the shortlist is:

OPC Servers
-RSLinx Classic Single Node : OPC Server from AB ( so the most compatible) but not very fast

-Matrikon AB OPC Server: 1170$
-Kepware OPC Server(a sales representative indicated me that their AB driver may not be compatible with a 1756-L81E CLX, to be tested).
-Ingear OPC Server Sololink (330$)

Communication driver
-AdvancedHMI: driver for CLX-.Net application ($200.00), very fast.

My C++ Application written using VS2008, is running under Windows 7 32bits, does it could be incompatible with an item of the list?

I believe the ingear will do what you want

they also have a net studio compatible version that is run time license free
you pay for it once and use it in as many applications as up want
check there website or call they are good people to work with
down load the free trial version and test it before you buy

Let me add something about the AdvancedHMI driver (or any non-OPC driver).... The AdvancedHMI driver is a pure .NET driver. If your application is only C++ native code, then it would require some integration of the .NET clr into your application. Also if converting to any non-OPC server, you would have to rewrite the parts of your code that access the PLC data. The lower cost and higher performance would need a trade off of your time to modify your existing code base.

Not trying to push you towards an OPC server, but just want to make sure you keep those points in mind when considering to use an OPC server or not for your existing C++ application.

Last edited: