1771-vhsc or 1771-ij

Need more info

It seems a simple question - using either an encoder or switches. We just want to measure wind atmospheric speed 0 to whatever the wind speed is - not a wind tunnel so usually under 20 but as high as 80

So we want to know which is easier to get the results,the 1771-high speed counter has automatic frequency conversion so we were leaning that direction instead of the IJ but we don't have experience with either module.

Last edited:
I can't vouch for the 1771 platform as I've only used these modules on the 1734 Point I/O platform. But on that platform, the VHSC is basically the same as the IJ/IK but with configurable high speed outputs on it as well.

So, if you were using the 1734 platform and looking only to measure, I'd be pointing you at the IJ/IK (difference between IJ and IK is the voltage) since you have no need for outputs.

Perhaps check to see if the same holds true for the 1771 platform?

The big difference for this application with the high speed counter is I would not have to compute the frequency since the module is configurable to do it automatically otherwise not much difference.

I am not sure how I would calibrate/program the VHSC to get the frequency to wind speed yet so....

I like the suggestion to use an analog input module an buy a anemometer. Might be the best choice.

I can't vouch for the 1771 platform as I've only used these modules on the 1734 Point I/O platform. But on that platform, the VHSC is basically the same as the IJ/IK but with configurable high speed outputs on it as well.

So, if you were using the 1734 platform and looking only to measure, I'd be pointing you at the IJ/IK (difference between IJ and IK is the voltage) since you have no need for outputs.

Perhaps check to see if the same holds true for the 1771 platform?