Off the wall question

Togadude

I'm looking for an inexpensive way to control pre-existing recptacles via a PLC without re-wiring. I briefly looked into X-10 because the communication is done through the wiring but there doesnt seem to be a way to bridge the protocols. Is there such a thing?

I thought that a X-10 controller would be more of a logical choise then a PLC.

I guess first you remove the Stoplight Program, get out the "C" manual and start programming, tie all the outputs into the breaker panel (unless it's fuses, then tie the inputs to the fuses), reload the "Resident Smoke" (unless it is a commercial installation), and ground the serial port to the Flux Capacitor.

Togadude said:
...X10...PLC...a way to bridge the protocols. Is there such a thing?

One must not forget that them guys at X10 call a PLC a Powerline Control :)

Is this what your talknig about? I doubt it.

1. There protocol is available

2. Follow CaseyK's advice and get a switch and outlet.

SWITCH HERE, HERE

If you want the same technologi but in an industrial box, find some Dupline from Carlo Gavazzi, it is used in many airports for landing strip lights :)

Last edited:
I think its time to say goodbye to all boring trafficlighs already, why cant the students build a pinball machine or a powerplant, anything but this slow and boring red, yellow and green lights... ZZZzzzZZzzz...

At one point I was contemplating a similar idea; PLC control of the house. I eventually abandoned the thought, but before I did I found an ASCII <-> X10 converter module and figured I could use that to send and receive messages from the X10 network. I have no idea where I found it, but such an animal does exist.

For my senior project we built a Home Automation Controller that was microcontroller-based. It would seem you could do the same with PLC's, an idea I've had in the back of my mind for some time. We used a PowerLinc Serial Converter from Smarthome: http://www.smarthome.com/2414s.html
I cannot remember what the protocol was. All it says is that it is serial RS-232. Also, look into Home Controls and Worthington Distributing for comparable devices.

C.

One of the panel builders I use set up his own home while it was being built. Every receptacle, switch, light, fan, etc was run to a 4x6 control panel in his basement. When the inspector came he took one look at it, realized he was in way over his head, and just signed it off.

I added outlets on the outside of the house in the soffits for Christmas lights, an outlet on the side of the garage for low voltage lights, and outlets for the pool pump and light. All of them go back to a Siemens Logo in my basement. Small control box with a couple contactors for each circuit, and time relays programmed in the Logo. Can also throw any one of them into manual mode with the faceplate keys on the Logo.