Mitsu FX Float via Kepware displays wrong in RSView32

monkeyhead

I'm trying to display floating point values in RSView32 from a Mitsubishi FX2n controller using the Kepware Mitsubishi OPC server. It's displaying totally different numbers in RSView32 compared to what's in the PLC. I'm already reading in a bunch of discrete values, integers, and long integers from this controller and that all works fine.

According to the Kepware documentation, I need to add the " L" suffix to the address to tell the OPC server to read 32 bits of data instead of the default of 16. As near as I can tell, this is done regardless of data type stored in the data register. I'm taking this to mean that to read the single precision floating point value that is stored in registers D600 and D601, I would use the following address:

Channel_name.Device_name.D600 L

In RSView32, I created an Analog Device Tag, set the Data type to Float, and specified the address using the above format. I left all the scaling an min/max parameters at default. In tag monitor I'm getting huge numbers. All the floats are showing up as something like 1.9x10^8. The values I'm reading will always be in the range of 0 to 100.

I have extremely limited access to this system, so I can't fool around with it much. Any ideas on what I might be doing wrong?

See what value you have in KepServer:
Create grop and item connected to your address and then check it value in Kep Server OPC Client (or something like that) when it is correct you can create items in Kepserver and readres tag in RsView32 to them.
If value is still incorrect check KepServer configuration but what exactly is wrong i don't know.
GoodLuck

Thanks for the suggestion feniks. I'm curious to see what some of my test clients report. Unfortunately I won't get a chance for another few days...

Well, don't know if anyone cares, but I found a solution. Posting for the sake of posterity. Maybe it will help someone down the road.

I found that the only way I could make an OPC client see the correct data was to explicitly define the tag as a float ahead of time in KepServerEX. Then instead of typing the address in directly in RSView32, I would use the address browser and find the tag I had previously created.

Kind of annoying, because I always like being able to bypass pre-configuring the tag names in KepServerEX and instead just using the direct addressing from RSView32. Luckily it was only for a few variables.

So you were adding items dynamically from RSView32. When you do that if you do not specifcy a specific data type for the requested item then you will get the default data tyoe for that data location. if you look at addressing in the driver help file you will find the supported data types for each memory area. The default data type will be bolded.

You have 2 options. In the OPC Client you can specify the data type. If you leave it at default you will get the default. The other option is to use the over ride that we provide for non OPC clients. This is done by appending the the requeted data type to the item when you added it. For example if you wanted D004 as a float you would use <channel name>.<device name>.D004@Float. The server knows to dymaically create that tag as a float. You can find additional information on this in the help file online

Thanks Fred! I was specifying the data type in RSView32, but had no luck. If the kepware driver isn't explicitly told that the data is a float it won't work no matter what I do on the client side.

I've got some more work to do on this system at some point in the near future, so I'll give the dynamic approach a shot, with the "@Float" suffix. I guess I should have just RTFM. :oops: I read the Mitsubishi FX driver manual and wrongly assumed it covered all aspects of addressing.

Thanks again for your help. Dynamic addressing was the feature that sold me on the Kepware driver.

Well, The assumption is that the component in RSView is actually requesting the item with a requested data type. YOu could turn on OPC Diagnostics in the server use the filter option to only view the add item requests and see what it is sending for a reuqest. If you see a requested type of 0 then it is not requesting the item with a specified data type. i amnot sure if there is a difference between items that are direct referenced and ones that are requested via the tag table.