Asi bus....still current technology?

darrenj

I have a small project coming up (20 or so pneumatic valves with feedback) the customer has expressed interest in Asi bus.
After searching the forums I see most questions were asked in 2009 - 2010.
Question is....is this the right way to go? Is it still a current protocol?
We will be using a control logic Plc.

My other questions are (if yes to above)
How Nema 4x is it? If the cable is run free air and the clamps are the "vampire" clamps. It will be used in milk processing so wash down is high pressure with caustic foam.

I have seen from other post's that noise can be an issue....how do you run this with shielded cable? Would I run it in conduit and "splice" in a junction box?

Thanks.

Darren

I have a small project coming up (20 or so pneumatic valves with feedback) the customer has expressed interest in Asi bus.
After searching the forums I see most questions were asked in 2009 - 2010.
Question is....is this the right way to go? Is it still a current protocol?
We will be using a control logic Plc.

My other questions are (if yes to above)
How Nema 4x is it? If the cable is run free air and the clamps are the "vampire" clamps. It will be used in milk processing so wash down is high pressure with caustic foam.

I have seen from other post's that noise can be an issue....how do you run this with shielded cable? Would I run it in conduit and "splice" in a junction box?

Thanks.

Darren

Look into IFM Efector www.ifm.com . Their ASI product line is outstanding and the support, technical knowledged and stock is 2nd to none.

We are installing new automation into a cosmetic company's super plant being built in Northern Toronto. The engineering company that developed the FRS spec'd ASI everywhere as it is still relevant.

Are you sure about the high pressure wash down with caustic foam? That sounds more like meat processing. Most dairy's use a low pressure sanitizing foam during sanitation.

Last edited:
Just finishing up my first project using AS-I interface and it's gone really well. Will definitely us it again. Being my first time I had a few things that caught me here and there but otherwise it was pretty straight forward. Used the IFM interface mentioned by curlyandshemp.

Are you sure about the high pressure wash down with caustic foam? That sounds more like meat processing. Most dairy's use a low pressure sanitizing foam during sanitation.

My experience with automation wherever milk is involved they use high pressure, warm water, with foam in it. Just gotta love it when they get it into control cabinets. (Yeah.. lets not close the door to all the nice blinking lights, lets rather make sure they are CLEAN!)

I have to second Curlyandshemp on IFM. They have a good range of ASI devices, and good support in Canada. We have two system running ASI, and are installing and commissioning a new system right now in a Brewery.

The Communications seem to be pretty robust with 2 Conductor Unshielded cable and M12 Connectors. We occasionally have to replace a Connector. They are exposed to Beer, Caustic, Acid, Oxonia, Bon Foam, and lots of other nasty things. So, they do sometimes get corroded up.

I would especially recommend the AC1144/AC1154 Programming Unit.

Stu....

@ The OP

If you mean ASI controlled valve manifolds the go with Festo or Numatics. Stay far away from MAC valves on ASI. There are some real horror stories I could share.