Control Panel Pictures

CaseyK

In the cornfields, on the prarie, outside Chi-Town
Per discussions on some other threads, please post pictures of your "BETTER" looking panels here. Perhaps someone is doing something a little differant that one or more of us can learn from.

Please, NO WORST PANELS EVER SEEN! Dig those nasty loooking ones out too, but wait before posting them, we'll start a thread in a week or two for the worst panels out there.

Thank you all in advance........casey

Perhaps we can get Tom to post a couple of his "field office" panel shots, too!

OK, I'll start...

Aw, you didn't start the thread with pictures of YOUR panels, Casey?... :D

I wish I had more to share. I'll have to remember to take more pictures in the future.

Most of my panels go in Hoffmann diconnect enclosures (Their 'Concept' line), because I like the space on the right side of the panel. All my cables, liquidtite, etc. can exit the BACK of the enclosure, making for a cleaner installation.

Here's one of my 'standard' panel layouts. I've probably made a few dozen panels based on this layout scheme. Don't pay attention to the power cord entering from the front. That was just to power it in the shop. I don't punch a hole for the power cord. I let the customer decide where they want to enter the panel with their feed.

[attachment]

beerchug

-Eric

2.jpg

Here's a little panel I did a while back for a heat staking machine. Hey look, another one of those defective Banner two-hand controls!... ;)

[attachment]

beerchug

-Eric

4.jpg

Last edited:
Don't let anyone tell you you can't squeeze an entire control system into an 8" x 12" sloped-front consolet!... :cool:

[attachment]

Actually, you can't. The terminal strip was in a separate enclosure below this one... :p

beerchug

-Eric

3.jpg

Here's one I dug out of the archives (before we bought a digital camera). This was a replacement control panel for a crayon molding machine that originally has relay logic controls. The operator controls are low on the front door because this enclosure got mounted about 4 feet above floor level.

[attachment]

OK, I'm done for now. Who's next?... :confused:

beerchug

-Eric

5.jpg

Excellant Eric.

I agree, I should have started out with some of my own. Most of what I have built in the last 16 years with PLC's has been assemble inside plants with ridgid camera restricted policies. I did get some poor quality polaroids out of General Motors, once.

I am trying to get the new plant manager of one facility in Peoria, IL to let me get some pictures there of the best stuph I ever did. I would love to have it available as a picture resume. This included several multi-rack panels and a plethra of smaller ones. The company was so strict that you could not carry a brief case in or out of the plant. Drove salesman wild. Purses were inspected. They did not do anything fancy, just manufactured cheap plastic consumer products.

thanks for the posts.....casey

Last edited:
Eric,

I usually place the PLC (usually a 205) at the top of the panel. This saves some space since we dont have to run a duct above it. Also since most of our installers (field guys) are right haneded, we place the terminal strip on the left of the panel.

elevmike said:
I usually place the PLC (usually a 205) at the top of the panel. This saves some space since we dont have to run a duct above it.

I do that when I'm tight on space, but having a duct above and below gives me the flexibility to use a brick (er...Unitary) PLC (like our new favorite, the DL06) depending on the project.

elevmike said:
Also since most of our installers (field guys) are right haneded, we place the terminal strip on the left of the panel.

I guess your panel builders are lefties?... :D

beerchug

-Eric

P.S. This is a 'pictures' thread, so where are YOUR pictures, Mike?...
17.gif

Eric,

It never occured to me to take pictures, execpt when I have a complaint. So I wont post those pictures...

Since the panels wired out of the box, it's not hard for a "north paw" to wire the left handed terminal strip by laying it flat on a roll-around cart, enableing them to walk around it. Authough it's a little hard on the back after a while.

device names on covers

In all the pictures so far, the device name plate (CR1, etc.)
is glued to the wire duct cover nearest the device.

Now, there is no debate that it certainly looks wonderful, neat, etc.

I've not had good luck with this approach for two reasons:

1.) Wire cover (especially near the 'field wiring' is typically
removed during installation, and replaced after startup, if ever.
Similar lengths of wire cover can be interchanged, and the
labels don't line up. And, no, the end user people will NOT
take the time to make sure that all the right ones are in the
right places.

2.) The nameplates, if engraved, must be epoxy'd to the wire cover.
This is not as secure a method of adhesive as you might think.
In (#1), the nameplates will get bashed around a bit, and likely
fall off.

The answer, at least for panels I've seen and worked on, is a label
or nameplate directly attached to the backpanel. I've seen KROY
labeling used, and also the engraved stuff. Warning: the galvanized
backplates commonly used in Rittal applications will required
a more aggressive adhesive.

Just my $0.02USD

It is classic, arrange the components as the diagram (Top-down), but when hardware that generates heat they should be in top !? What is values significate influence

They would be able to, open of photos of machines and line of prodution. If had permanent focus, mount an album better than of womens. (y)

here is one of my panels. It's actually the only one I've ever built and maybe the 10th panel I've designed or so. All my other panels were done at work so I can't show any pictures of them.

EDIT: Sorry it is so big....wasn't that big on my screen before I attached it.

batt02.jpg

jdbrandt,

Here's a panel w/ the names riveted on the panel. I agree with you but unfortunately at my new employeer the standard is to put them on the cover or even on the device,???

mach3.jpg