Unusual (a little) use for a PLC

jdbrandt

Lifetime Supporting Member
Today, Orbital ATK fired the latest of their five-segment solid rocket boosters (SRB's), at the test facility in Promontory, UTAH.

The center of the booster is supported by a large frame, and that frame is hydraulically controlled by a PLC, with a touchscreen interface.

It was built by a UTAH integrator, and shows up in the photos of the SRB.

This is the only known PLC in use on that test stand.

I can tell you we're using ControlLogix upstream of that engine, in the nitrators that supply the solid fuel plant. And we're very, very, very careful.

They test some hugely energetic stuff out there at Promontory. I always wanted to see one of their nighttime D5 rocket (from Trident II missiles) tests when they decommission the solid fuel motors.