output transistor for ac current

mamentozz

hi there, i wanna ask you something about transistor output for ac current, is that possible? because i have plc output transistor for motorize output AC, please give me hint.

hi there, i wanna ask you something about transistor output for ac current, is that possible? because i have plc output transistor for motorize output AC, please give me hint.
Use the transistor to short the DC side of a full-wave bridge rectifier. Wire the AC side of the bridge in series with the load and AC supply.
You'll want to use opto-coupling!

Of course, you could use a relay.

Last edited:
Use the transistor to short the DC side of a full-wave bridge rectifier. Wire the AC side of the bridge in series with the load and AC supply.
You'll want to use opto-coupling!
This solutions looks smart...

Of course, you could use a relay.
... but this one really is. It's your choice.

If nevertheless you want to use the first solution, be really smart and calculate everything. You wouldn't want to blow up your output transistor (and eventually the rest of your PLC) because you didn't eg. take care of the heat dissipation in the transistor. Furthermore don't forget that, if you're using the rest of the outputs and in the case the outputs have a common connection, these other outputs will be on a dangerous voltage level.

Regards,

Using a relay to switch the AC power is by far the best answer. It provides protection for the PLC outputs and is an inexpensive solution to the problem.

I wanna ask you something about transistor output for ac current, is that possible?
Yes it is possible. That type of transistor is often called a Triac (meaning a Transistor that switches AC) current).