Need help with AB 1746-HSCE2 High Speed Counter module.

SilverLoop

I am attempting to use a Mitutoyo SAM (Single Axis Multiplier)-15 connected to a Mitutoyo linear scale (AT102) with an Allen Bradley 1746-HSCE2 High Speed Counter module.

The application is a simple drilling machine in which I need to capture the linear position of the drill.

The SAM unit is connected as a quadrature differential input to the AB module.

I am very overwhelmed with all the parameter settup for this AB module and would like some advice on how to quickly determine what I need to do to get up and running.

I have a manual for the AB module, but I am confused about the virtual I/O that is built into it.

Also, I have a timing diagram for the output of the SAM unit for A, B, and Z. It doesn't match the example in the AB manual for a differential encoder. I'm thinking that I may have to make some wiring adjustments to compensate.

If anyone has used this module with a linear scale to determine vertical position I would appreciate their advice!

I apologize for such a general question. I am at the point right now of just trying to get a handle on some of the issues I am dealing with in this module so I can formulate more intelligent questions to Allen Bradley tech. support.

Thank you!

I have a manual for the AB module, but I am confused about the virtual I/O that is built into it.
I don't have the manual in front of me, but you can think of the internal I/O on the HSCE2 as any other datafiles in the processor.

I did an HSCE2 job and you definately have to read the manual more than onece. There is just too much there to sink in on a single reading unless you are a PLC savant.

Then, I would recommend following along an example from the book. If possible, pick the one closest to your application. Even though you may think typing in an example verbatum to be a mindless exercise, it is NOT in this case. Get a counter up and working on your desk or test bench. Spin the encoder shaft, watch the number change... feel the sense of accomplishment.

Definately set things up in separate program files as shown in the examples. This will help your troubleshooting efforts.

There IS a lot of gymnastics to go through to get this thing working but once I had mine set up, I never had to touch it again.

Good Luck. If you have some more specific questions once you get some code going post it and I'll try to help.

The HSCE2 is so darn complex that A-B had to write a handful of Knowledgebase documents to allow users to get the module up and running.

Go into the support.rockwellautomation.com website and the Knowledgebase and use the keyword "HSCE2" in a search. I found a dozen or more FAQ's and example programs. One may match your particular linear scale application.

Thanks for the advice guys!

What ended up happening yesterday was that I disconnected the encoder cable from each of the two encoders to the AB module so that I could verify the timing diagram that I was supposed to get from them. The manual had given some suggestions on how to determine what input signals to use for A, A', B, B', Z, and Z'.

When I did this I found that the person who had wired the cables from one of the encoders swapped the Z and Z' signals and on the other cable the A, A' pair was swapped with the B, B' pair!

After I reconnected everything corrected, I was able to just look in the N10 file and notice where the counts were coming in. I just used the sample code given in the manual almost to the T and it seemed to work. I did have to adjust the ranges in the setup blocks, but I feel confident that I'm getting consistent counts coming in. All I have to do now is just scale them to inches and I'm there.

Thanks again!