Siemens online edits

A_G

Lifetime Supporting Member
I'm new to Siemens but have Allen-Bradley experience. Right now I'm testing a system with a Simatic PLC using TIA Portal v15.

Is there any way to make online edits to the logic without having to download to the PLC?

With RSLogix, I can make rung edits while online with the PLC without having to download to the PLC. With TIA Portal, I don't see how to do this. I've been making edits, then downloading to the PLC, but this basically shuts down the system temporarily.

In the Siemens world you work off line, and then download ONLY the things you changed. When working on live systems.
If you are working on FC100 for instance, you should be able to only download FC100, the processor will load the changes before the next execution. The only thing you cannot download easily is running SFC's.

When you download, are you selecting, Software, changes only?

In the Siemens world you work off line, and then download ONLY the things you changed. When working on live systems.
If you are working on FC100 for instance, you should be able to only download FC100, the processor will load the changes before the next execution. The only thing you cannot download easily is running SFC's.

When you download, are you selecting, Software, changes only?

Thanks. I will look for the option to download Software, changes only. So far, I've just been using the "Download to device" button.

Just as a heads up, even if you download using "software, changes only" there will be cases where the processor will still need to stop to load the changed. There aren't that many cases but they do exist.

Keith

If you have the FC or FB open, you can click the button with an arrow pointing down next to the Compile button in the toolbar. It should download just that block and not the whole thing.

If you ever use Step7, you can just press Ctrl+L and a download window for that block will open.

Just as a heads up, even if you download using "software, changes only" there will be cases where the processor will still need to stop to load the changed. There aren't that many cases but they do exist.

Keith

Besides a HW download, the main thing that I've seen stop a 1500 is a safety download. The trick is that if I'm not careful with how I write my safety code, a simple standard DB change can require a safety re-download. HOWEVER, it will never surprise you by stopping the PLC; it will always ask permission in the DL window.

Despite what a few other posters have said, there is no way to download just one block in a 1500, unless you've only made changes to one block. For the older Siemens PLCs (300/400), this is possible. For the 1200/1500, you have to compile the whole PLC and download (the changes) to the whole thing.