1747-AENTR BootP/DHCP Disable

Hi
New here. There used to be a problem with BootP/DHCP server, i.e. one of the methods of disabling DHCP actually didn't work. I believe it was the checkbox. On the menu "Tools-Disable DHCP did work however. (maybe vice-versa, I always try both)

I ran into a different problem a while back with an SMC stepper driver, and I couldn't get it to take the relation. Online with tech support, he suggested, (and it worked), to set the relation with the NIC to AUTO. Then change the NIC to static IP in the same domain as the device, then try disabling. I never would have thought of it, but it worked. Same thing happened recently and I suggested to the other tech to try it, (we were programming identical devices, and I was done). That worked for him also.

I just set the ip address w/o the disabling the dhcp to get the comms working. I'm assuming once power is cycled it will eventually lose the ip address.

Now all.you should have to do is connect it to you pc "laptop or desktop" via an ethernet cable and type the ip address I to your web browser. Once the webpage for that device opens you can disable bootp fro there.

Oh okay, I will try that then. I tried the webpage from the get-go, but it didn't accept, maybe since my wifi was enabled. I will try and let y'all know how it went.

Some time ago, I had a problem with it working on a servo driver.

I disconnected the driver from the network, and connected to it directly with a patch cable, and it worked right away.

I ended up using BootP to send it the IP address, but since I could not disable, I went to RS Linx, went to Module config, and there was a button that said "manually set ip address", so I selected that. Before, it was set to "use bootp option to determine ip address".

So this helped me solve the problem, using bootp to set the ip address, then using rs linx to keep it static through manual configuration.

Don't troubleshoot the Messenger!...

The following are snippets from the opening poster, Keith...

kamenges said:
when I try to disable the DHCP/BootP requests and select static IP at the card I get a response that says the command failed, the command being Set Single Attribute (16). I get the same thing if I try to disable DHCP using module config through RSLinx

...Just to make sure everyone understands the problem I am having, it is only the enable/disable I am having trouble with. I can see DHCP requests coming in, I can service a DHCP request and establish an IP address, but I can't disable the requests once an address is set. When I try to disable the response appears immediately. As fast as I can click the mouse I get failure responses. When I have had firewall related issues there is usually a delay in the response and it is a different response...

...In addition I've set the IP address and disabled BootP requests on a 1734-AENT in the same network without issue. So I know the base functionality of the BootP server is working on my conputer. It just won't work with the 1747-AENTR. I have also tried module configuration through RSLinx and get the same response.

I was able to successfully disable BootP requests this morning. I was likely leaving out a pivotal piece of info. In the past I was connected through Ethernet to the controlling plc. As soon as the IP address was set the 1747-AENTR became an active partner with the plc. It would appear the card won't service BootP commands if it is connected to the plc. I disconnected the Ethernet cable to the plc before running BootP and was able to set the address and disable BootP...

We many of us are aware of the notoriety that BootP/DHCP Server has earned for itself over the years in proving difficult to use. But these difficulties can vary in both their symptoms, causes and solutions. As such, these many subtly different symptoms should not be confused as being just one general issue, for which we might have several solutions. Also, the actual root cause of some of these issues might sometimes lie beyond this software's Evil grip.

In the case of this thread, and my close analysis of it, the symptoms here are quite specific. Keith's symptoms were that he could use BootP/DHCP Server successfully on his workstation with other devices on the network in question, but could not successfully use it with this one specific 1747-AENTR adapter. This rules out a multitude of solutions often suggested to try get BOOTP/DHCP Server itself working or to try other software methods. That is not what is wrong in this specific case.

As Keith pointed out, and a couple others have since confirmed or suggested, the fact that, as soon as it was assigned a legitimate IP address configuration, the 1747-AENTR adapter fell under the implicit control of its intended controller on the same network. The connection from the controller inhibits further modification of the adapter's configuration from other sources such as BOOTP/DHCP Server, RSLinx Classic, etc. Once the controller is removed from the equation, and it's ownership relinquished, these software tools are once again permitted to modify the adapter's configuration.

Keith's error message was specifically related to the CIP service "Set Attribute Single", which is Service Code "10". The service request to set BootP to disabled was rejected by the CIP device.

The following technote describes the specific symptoms and solution required to resolve this "device related" issue i.e. not BOOTP/DHCP Server issue...

490147 - RSLinx Classic: An Unexpected communications error has occured. General Status is 0x0010 (16).
Access Level: TechConnect

Note: while the technote just mentions trying to disable BootP using RSLinx Classic, it is the same CIP service request that is sent from BOOTP/DHCP Server.

That was just intended to try prevent further good intentioned but misguided advice here on how to "fix" BOOTP/DHCP Server. In this particular case, we should not be trying to "troubleshoot the Messenger"...

Regards,
George

FYI, I just ran into this same issue. I couldn't set the IP to static through rslogix or rslinx. RSlinx gave this error General Status is 0x0010 (16).

All I had to do to fix the problem was to go to the AENT's properties in RSlogix, go to connection tab, inhibit the module, then set the static address, then go back and uninhibit the module again.

Hi grompy,

Thank you for your positive feedback and a very warm "Welcome to the Forum!" to you :site:

Like Grompy said, if the module or device is part of a project and is not inhibited, you will not be able to disable bootp. Just had that issue today. You will get Error (Set Attribute Single [16])