replacing 5/04 CPU Ser. A with a Ser. B or C

Skidood

Hi again, my client may need a new CPU module and I want to sell them one anyway as a spare if needed. The existing CPU module is a Series A and I see online that I can buy new Series C modules.
In RsLogix, with the customer program open, in Controller Properties you can change the processor type from an A to C .... Just before you click OK, it gives you a warning popup stating "Changing the processor type may result in a loss of data and/or I/O configuration. Are you sure you want to continue?" I don't know how to interpret that message. Once you click YES, the program is somehow modified and checks out OK using File and Project checker. Is this a common and safe thing to do? Should I be concerned about doing this? When onsite I will be in an extremely remote location, I don't want to take any chances...thanks very much in advance .

Upgrading from a Ser A to Ser C is fine. The only issue would be the memory available.

If the Ser A is a -543 and the Ser C is a -541 then the program, if large enough, might be too big for the smaller CPU.

Thousands of CPU's have been replaced and I personally have never heard of the 'loss of data' RSLogix warns about. I think it is just a popup to make sure someone has to click a second confirmation. The only issue might be changing from a 5/04 or 5/05 to a 5/03 or 5/02 - some unsupported commands.

To be sure open a copy of the program and change the CPU, then do a Verify All. Save as Project_SerC.

Has anyone every had any loss of data or program from changing a CPU?

Last edited: