1769-L33ER Allenbradley CPU

I think he means that while it may have two RJ45 ports, it can only have one IP address. The ports are more like a built-in two-port switch.

The R in the partnumber means it has two ports (Ethernet Redundant).
You can't have two different IP addresses though, it is essentially a three port unmanaged switch (with one port being to talk with the CPU).

I thought it was 'Ring' not 'Redundant'... and of course, you might then need an ETAP to work with a DLR in your network topology.

CPX doesn't offer redundancy like CLX does, to my knowledge.

the_msp said:
I thought it was 'Ring' not 'Redundant'... and of course, you might then need an ETAP to work with a DLR in your network topology.

CPX doesn't offer redundancy like CLX does, to my knowledge.

"ER" provides support for...

E = EtherNet/IP Embedded Switch Technology
R = Device Level Ring (DLR)

So you are correct on the terminology, Patrick, but you would not also need a 1783-ETAP here...

The dual Ethernet port "ER" controllers support direct placement onto an Ethernet Device Level Ring topology network. You would not also need a 1783-ETAP to provide dual port interfacing. ETAP is for where you have a single Ethernet port device you wish to add to a DLR topology.

Also, for redundancy on the CompactLogix platform, there is the option to deploy certain ControlNet redundancy modules with the L4 models, and also implement the "Hot Backup" feature. Although granted, it would not have as quick a switchover rating as ControlLogix Redundancy (<20ms).

I'm not sure if the OP was asking about IP addresses or anything else beyond the fact that it has two physical built-in Ethernet ports? Still, it's no harm to point these things out in case it might matter. If actually looking to deploy the controller onto two separate Ethernet networks via its own ports, then you would have to look upwards to the 5380 CompactLogix controller models which support Dual-IP Mode (separate IP addresses for the embedded Ethernet switch ports).

Regards,
George

Keyword 'might'...

Consider the following ring:

->PLC_RJ45_1-> 1734-AENTR_1-> 1734-AENTR_2 _> PLC_RJ45_2 ->
|------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Now, other than USB, you can't communicate to the PLC via Ethernet with Laptop or connect e.g. an HMI or SCADA

For a DLR, it is my understanding you need to define a 'master' (probably wrong terminology). It would make sense to me to make the PLC the master, using one port to an ETAP, and saving the other RJ45 port on the PLC for comms.

p.s. /OT/ do you work night shifts?

I understand your thinking now, but as there was no mention of possibly requiring it for any reason other than (assumedly) provisioning the controller onto the DLR network, your "might" seemed to suggest it may be required to do just that.

Using a dedicated workstation ETAP interface appliance "somewhere" in the DLR network is very common, but of course it need not be connected off of or near the controller position in the ring. But more often than not, this is where it gets fitted as it makes sense, usually, to be within eyeshot of the controller when online to it. But also, they can be installed remotely, like at an office location. I usually prefer though a Stratix solution to bridge out from the DLR, as opposed to expanding the ring segments just to give workstation access. Being a DLR, you can of course also break the network ring to temporarily connect your workstation, and if resilient, it should hold up.

Ring Supervisor is the term you're thinking of, and yes, the controller is usually the go to choice, but the Stratix switch (if there is one) can also act as Backup Supervisor, and I usually assign that as next highest precedence. But we can enable most all DLR devices to act or backup the Active Supervisor,
even the lowly ETAP. And yes, you must (should) always configure at least one Supervisor if you want to prevent potential "storms".

I'm Staff (Coordinator) so I don't work shifts, just days, normally. But a colleague who does cover technical on shift is out on maternity leave, so I offered to cover him or else others had to split the shift, and they didn't fancy it.

G.

Last edited:
Thanks for explaining further (hard to know if the midnight oil fumes were clouding my memory)... I designed a system with an L306ER with one port going to an ETAP to 12 servo drives in a DLR, and the other port (with different IP, being a 5380 series CPU) for SCADA. The drives (Yaskawa) came with an AOI that meant an 'M' series CPU wasn't required for motion.

afeefabdussamed said:
Does 1769-L33ER Allenbradley CPU has 2 builtin ethernet ports?

Just back to "officially" answer this question (in the technote title) and also the IP address information (inside the technote)...

470996 - CompactLogix 5370 L1, L2 and L3 Controllers: Dual Built-In EtherNet/IP Network Ports
Access Level: TechConnect

...(Snippet)...Embedded on the controllers is an unmanaged switch so both ports share the same IP address...

And this one is just to add more info on the CompactLogix 5380 Dual-IP Mode...

853537 - CompactLogix 5380 Dual-IP Mode
Access Level: Everyone

Note that Dual-IP Mode does not support Class 0 (Safety) or Class 1 (I/O) bridging across the networks connected to the two ports.

Regards,
George

Opps, "Paternity" leave! Now that was definitely an after midnight haze.

It used to be 2 weeks here, but just recently it was increased to 4 weeks. I reckon he'll be back after 1 week? :ROFLMAO:

G.