MicroLogix 1100 Ethernet programming

tomfarvour

Is there anything special that I need to do to get connected to a MicroLogix 1100 through the Ethernet port? It shows up in RSLinx, but when I try a device properties, it gives me a CIP general error.

The specific version of my MicroLogix 1100 is:
1763-L16BWA Series. B, Revision. A
Operating System Information: FRN 4

Is there some kind of EDS file that I need? I've been trying to scrounge the Internet but nothing interesting. We do need to get our Tech Connection support renewed with Rockwell, but in either case, maybe you guys have something or a solution to help me out until then?

Thanks!
-Tom

Since you're seeing it in RSLinx I assume you have already set up the IP address. Take a look at this document:
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/attachment.php?attachmentid=6430

Also, you may want to try using the Ethernet driver instead of Ethernet/IP in RSLinx. I have found the Eth/IP driver to be very flaky.

And I think you need at least RSLogix 7.00 in order to talk to a ML1100.

I configured it using the "Ethernet device" driver instead of Ethernet/IP, but now I'm back to square one with it saying:
"Unrecognized Device" Comm. Error 01E00204

I'm guessing I don't have the correct EDS file. Do you have this?

Edit: I have RSLogix 500 v7.10 CPR10. But in the processor selection for my project it only gives me "Series A". This is a Series B processor. Am I going to need to update the whole program? Or do I just need the right EDS.....

Thanks!

Last edited:
Have you tried connecting via the serial port? If you are able to then it's not a problem with your version of RSLogix.

kolyur said:
Have you tried connecting via the serial port? If you are able to then it's not a problem with your version of RSLogix.

I don't have a serial cable that plugs in to this. I only have a DB9 and it won't fit this miniDIN type. The problem seems to lie within RSLinx in that it doesn't know what the device is. If RSLinx can't see it, RSLogix ain't going to...

I get the DiagnosticStatus failed 0xFFFFFFFE when I try to download something to it... and RSLinx has no idea what it is.

-Tom

Have you set an IP address on this PLC yet? If you don't have a serial cable then you don't have a choice, you'll have to run the BOOTP-DHCP program and enter the PLC's MAC address to assign an IP. Here's an article in case you didn't get my PM:

http://www.twcontrols.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=32&Itemid=38

Edit: I guess you wouldn't have to do this if the PLC and your PC are on a LAN with a DHCP server.

The PLC is online, has an IP address. I looked in the DHCP/BOOTP server leases, it is on 10.147.160.113, and doing an arp -a the MAC address matches. It's able to see it and connect to the Ethernet device. I did install an updated EDS file off Rockwell's site because before it couldn't even see the Ethernet device.

It finds the MicroLogix 1100 when it's in Ethernet/IP mode, but when I try to add it as an "Ethernet device" it tells me unrecognized device.

-Tom

Hmm well all I can suggest at this point is that you may need to upgrade your RSLinx and/or RSLogix. All the ML1100s that I've used are Series A, so I would not have run into this problem yet.

I guess what confuses me is why does RSLinx know what it is if it's using Ethernet/IP, but not if I reference the specific Ethernet device?

And why do I get "General CIP errors" or 0xFFFFFFFE DiagnosticStatus failed.......

EDIT: I'm downloading the latest RSLinx Lite 2.51 Web release off Rockwell's site. It's the only piece of software I could get a free update for without our TechConnect contract lol. But we're getting that renewed so I'll just pester them.

Last edited:
I just wanted to come back and post my solution here for the googlers out there that found this thread:

I updated to RSLinx 2.51 and it rectified the problem. My guess is that Revision B of the MicroLogix 1100 wasn't supported correctly in versions <2.51.