1747-AENTR BootP/DHCP Disable

kamenges

I am using a 1747-AENTR on a machine rebuild. I can set the IP address without a problem using the AB BootP server. However, when I try to disable the DHCP/BootP requests and select static IP at the card I get a response that says the command failed, the command being Set Single Attribute (16). I get the same thing if I try to disable DHCP using module config through RSLinx. Any ideas on what might be going on and how I can get around it?

Thanks,
Keith

Use an older version of DCHP. I am using a newer version of 2.3.2.0 and I have trouble with the new micro820. When I use my older verion of an XP machine it works fine.

YMMV

This is one of those specific features that is just plain broken on some computers and firewalls and operating systems. I've experienced it plenty of times and don't want to waste more time trying to figure out the root cause.

The good news is that using RSLinx Classic to send the same command from the device configuration applet works (in my experience) 100% of the time.

I've also had that issue. What I usually do is wait several seconds before sending the Disable BootP command and it seems to work...most of the time. So when you first set the IP address and it shows successful, just wait until the IP address shows next to the device in the upper window. This usually takes several seconds. Then send the disable BootP command. I find if I send the disable BootP command right after sending the IP address I tend to get that error.

Another method, if all else fails, is to use the adapters web page. Set the address switches to something like 20 and power cycle. The IP address should now be 192.168.1.20, Subnet 255.255.255.0. Set your PC to 192.168.1.10 and 255.255.255.0, or similar. Ping the adapter to check you can "see it". Open a web browser and navigate to the adapter IP address. Login with user: "administrator", password: "blank". Under "Network Configuration" configure the adapter for Static and set your new IP address and Subnet. Apply changes. Change address switches away from 20 to above 254 (not 888 or 999). Power cycle and the new address should be active.

A bit long winded, but like I said, it's just for when all else fails.

Regards,
George

Just to make sure everyone understands the problem I am having, it is only the enable/disable I am having trouble with. I can see DHCP requests coming in, I can service a DHCP request and establish an IP address, but I can't disable the requests once an address is set. When I try to disable the response appears immediately. As fast as I can click the mouse I get failure responses. When I have had firewall related issues there is usually a delay in the response and it is a different response.

In addition I've set the IP address and disabled BootP requests on a 1734-AENT in the same network without issue. So I know the base functionality of the BootP server is working on my conputer. It just won't work with the 1747-AENTR. I have also tried module configuration through RSLinx and get the same response.

I have yet to try configuration through the web page. I will try that today.

Jeff, do you know if AB maintains older copies of the BootP install file? I have the latest version right now.

Thanks,
Keith

I was able to successfully disable BootP requests this morning. I was likely leaving out a pivotal piece of info. In the past I was connected through Ethernet to the controlling plc. As soon as the IP address was set the 1747-AENTR became an active partner with the plc. It would appear the card won't service BootP commands if it is connected to the plc. I disconnected the Ethernet cable to the plc before running BootP and was able to set the address and disable BootP. We are now good to go.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Keith

I realize this is an ancient thread, but I wanted to confirm that disconnecting the PLC worked for me as well. Same problem, 2 EIP devices, all the same cat number. Three of them disabled with no issues. Last four, no go. Disconnected the plc and it disabled immediately.

I also need assistance with the BootP software. My issue is the exact same as the OP. But in my case, I don't have my 1769-AENTR connected to my PLC to begin with, only into my laptop.

I have tried using BOOTP method, RS Linx method, and webpage method, but all 3 methods fail to change the IP address to a static one.

---RS Linx keeps showing a failed message whenever I change the ip address through "Module configuration" option.

---Webpage method, I can connect to device on "192.168.1.x", but when I change to 172.23.115.x, it says to cycle power, and ip address will change, but it is not changing. I made sure I set the AENTR module to 000 to enable webpage option, but still no success.

---BootP method, it sends the correct ip address, but when I disable BootP, it shows fail (socket connect fail). So right now, I am on the correct IP address, but if I ever cycle power on it, it will lose IP address.

How can I fix this issue? Does Wifi on affect results? Again, the only device connected to AENTR is my laptop.

Thanks,

I had an issue before where the company domain controller seemed to be interfering. Removing from the dock (AENTR was connected via laptop RJ45 port not dock) and disabling the wifi adapter cured it.

Yes, having your wi-fi on is an almost certain way to make sure you'll have no end of trouble. Turn it off and try again, you'll probably find all three methods will work.

Using the Thumbwheel Method is recommended by AB as it is the most reliable method in setting the IP address.
You did not follow instruction correctly most likely.

On my laptop I have to disable my anti-virus software. Only way it will work. No amount of opening ports or white listing software would work.

This method works for the 1734 series as well. I was about to pull my hair out one on this one day. Couldn't understand how it worked fine some times and wouldn't work others. Lol!! Web page gets it every time though.