Help with GE 90-30 and NIU

CACarson

I have problem with a NIU which is on Genius bus to GE 90-30 series PLC. The NIU stops communication with PLC about once every 4-5 hours, power reset brings it back online ok. Changed NIU power supply, all of the VeraMax modules and mother boards. Next thing I need to swap is NIU, one of the VeraMax modules has a analog input so I don't think I can do the self programing. Do not have the program or cables but will purchase if I need to.
Is it possible to send the NIU somewhere to have it programed for the VeraMax modules? Updating the PLC is very expensive (six figures!!) and the PLC and other 7 NIU's have never had any problems.
Anyone have any ideas? I know the 90-30 is older but there must be someone who still can do programming on them or company?

thanks!!
Campbell

The distributor you buy your parts from should be able to put you in touch with someone local with the VersaPro or Proficy Machine Edition software. There is a special cable required to send the hardware configuration to the Genius NIU. Also, my experience has been that you need to run the VersaPro or Proficy Machine Edition software on a PC with a real serial port to communicate with the Genius NIU. I've never been able to do it with a USB/serial converter. I've tried with multiple converter brands.

thanks Steve, I do have a old windows 2000 professional P.C with serial port which may work ok, have ordered the IC200CBL002 cable but coming from China so it may take awhile. Will look into the VersaPro standard edition tomorrow. Was still hoping there was company or individual I could ship to for hardware configurations to save the learning curve but planning on doing what ever it takes. Thanks!!

Do you have Proficy Machine Edition?
If not, how many GE PLCs do you have?
As far as the Genius bus, do you have termination resistor at both ends of line?

Last edited:
No I do not have Proficy Machine edition, these are our only two GE PLC and we do have the EOL resistor installed. The NIU is the first one of 6, other 5 no problems. We do have a backup PLC and when I force it to run on backup we have some problem.