No output from analog voltage output module

rguimond

Lifetime Supporting Member
I'm experimenting with Automation-Direct "Terminator" I/O analog modules and wondering if anyone has experience in configuring the T1F-16DA Voltage Analog Output modules.

According to the manual, the module is configured by setting bits in Byte 4. in my case, this represents Modbus address 40002 and I have to turn on bit 24 (enable all outputs) and bit 26 (1-10V range). There are 32 bits per channel. The first register (40001) is represented by the first 16 bits and holds the actual analog value. The second group, or register, (40002) of 16 bits is for configuration.

I have written 1280 to Modbus address 40002 to configure the module, but if I write a value to the address tied to output "0" (40001), I don't get a voltage referenced to ground. According to the documentation, I need an impedance of at least 4K between "0" and "COM" (I have 7.13K). Also, the documentation says 0 = 0V and 4095 = 10V, so I've loaded 2048 into 40001, expecting to see around 2.5V at the output - I see nothing.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Did you connect an external 24 VDC supply to the module per the manual? +24 VDC to V0-V1, (-) to V2-V3.

I'm not finding any Modbus references in the module manual so can't confirm your configuration method.

You are leaving out some important information.

What is the interface to the analog output module? If it's H2-EBC, then you need to use the NetEdit3 utility - EBC Setting tab, Show Base Contents to see the I/O modules and Modbus addressing for the module. Using the standard I/O mapping from the Automation Direct manuals assumes that you are driving the configuration from the AD PLC and I don't think it's the same at all if you using Modbus.

Using T1K-Modbus interface, through a MB-gateway. I have no problem reading 3xxxx and 4xxxx registers and can write to 4xxxx, too.

Haven't decided what I'll drive the system from, but will probably use a ML-1100 and a Red-Lion product as a protocol converter

Last edited:
I think the confusion lies in the fact that I'm not using a T1H-EBC100. I'm using a T1K-MODBUS and a MB-Gateway.

As a result, the midule configuration register is 40002 and I have to write 1280 to it to turn on all outputs and allow 0-10V output range. There are no 5xxxx registers in a T1K-MODBUS

I can write to 40002 and also read back from it, but I don't get voltage from any of the terminals and COMMOM, regardless of the analog value I send to the corresponding registers. I suspect the module is faulty. Just in case, i ordered a new analog output module and a T1H-EBC100 this morning.

For some of the output modules there is a bit that has to be set to "turn on" the output.

Give our technical support a call, they should be able to help out.

For some of the output modules there is a bit that has to be set to "turn on" the output.

Give our technical support a call, they should be able to help out.

There is such a beast for this module, but It's not working. It's bit one of the high byte in the second register (40002), I also need to turn on the third byte, so I'm writing 1280 to 40002. Doesn't work. I think the output module is defective