Logix 5000 not updating tags for PF70 datalinks

NGCPLC

Hello,
I am modifying a program for a 1756-L61 controller using Logix version 20.01.

I am trying to add or change datalinks for several of PowerFlex 70's but there seems to be a glitch with the software. If I go into the module properties and set the datalinks they will not update in the controller tag database. After many attempts, Logix has randomly accepted the addition of some datalinks (e.g. Undefined A1 and Undefined A2) and updated the tag list but I have yet to discover the mechanism behind this.

This is an older processor so we can't take it up any higher on the version.

Does anyone have a work around to force Logix to update the tag list based off of the module settings? I assume if we started from scratch and deleted the modules and reinstalled them then it would possibly take but I would hate to go through that for 30 or so drives.

An example of the parameter we are trying to see is "Fault1Code".

Thanks.

Welcome to the PLCTalk forum community !

It is not easy to change DataLinks online in run mode with drives connected over EtherNet/IP or ControlNet.

The reason is that when you select parameters by name in a Datalink configuration, RSLogix 5000 automatically creates a UDT with named sub-elements that match the selected DataLink parameters.

That's how you get things like "MyPowerFlex:I.OutputCurrent" instead of "MyPowerFlex:I.DataLinkA1".

You can see this offline; set up a drive with one set of DataLinks, then go modify them, then go check the UDT folder and you'll see several different PowerFlex related UDTs.

I think that later versions of Studio 5000 might have the ability to create those new UDTs while online in run mode, but I doubt they can substitute them for the prior ones; after all, what do you do with references to the sub-elements that have changed ?

I think you have figured out he workaround: create the drive definition with the default undefined Sub-element name, then configure the DataLink so that there's a parameter associated with it. You can use aliases or move the values around so they have useful names.

Welcome to the PLCTalk forum community !

It is not easy to change DataLinks online in run mode with drives connected over EtherNet/IP or ControlNet.

The reason is that when you select parameters by name in a Datalink configuration, RSLogix 5000 automatically creates a UDT with named sub-elements that match the selected DataLink parameters.

That's how you get things like "MyPowerFlex:I.OutputCurrent" instead of "MyPowerFlex:I.DataLinkA1".

You can see this offline; set up a drive with one set of DataLinks, then go modify them, then go check the UDT folder and you'll see several different PowerFlex related UDTs.

I think that later versions of Studio 5000 might have the ability to create those new UDTs while online in run mode, but I doubt they can substitute them for the prior ones; after all, what do you do with references to the sub-elements that have changed ?

I think you have figured out he workaround: create the drive definition with the default undefined Sub-element name, then configure the DataLink so that there's a parameter associated with it. You can use aliases or move the values around so they have useful names.

Thanks for the reply. I forgot to mention that we are working on this program offline. All of the drives modules have been created. However, the datalinks were not set during creation so no sub-elements for the datalinks were included in the list of available tags. If I go into the module properties and check the boxes for the datalinks and select the appropriate parameters we intend to use, the additional tags are not added to the drive tag list. I've seen various software packages that have strange quirks that initiate a response from the software (like RSLinx, for instance, where you have to click a different driver and then back to force a driver to connect.) I am hoping somebody has found the magic sequence to force this software to recognize that there were changes made to the drive modules.

Hello,
I am modifying a program for a 1756-L61 controller using Logix version 20.01.

I am trying to add or change datalinks for several of PowerFlex 70's but there seems to be a glitch with the software. If I go into the module properties and set the datalinks they will not update in the controller tag database. After many attempts, Logix has randomly accepted the addition of some datalinks (e.g. Undefined A1 and Undefined A2) and updated the tag list but I have yet to discover the mechanism behind this.

This is an older processor so we can't take it up any higher on the version.

Does anyone have a work around to force Logix to update the tag list based off of the module settings? I assume if we started from scratch and deleted the modules and reinstalled them then it would possibly take but I would hate to go through that for 30 or so drives.

An example of the parameter we are trying to see is "Fault1Code".

Thanks.

So, apparently I am very green when it comes to Rockwell products. What I found is that when the changes are made in the datalinks selector window they are not automatically updated (even though there is a dialog box that asks for confirmation of this change.) I was making the change then closing the properties window with the "x" at the top right. My error window was hiding the bottom of my module properties box where there is a magical button called "Apply".