Omron CP1H and NA5 HMI

DRB

Hi all,

I have to say first that I have no experience with Omron devices, but here's the challenge that I'm facing.

I have an Omron CP1H controller connected to a NS5 HMI.

What I've been asked is to connect a second, remote HMI to this same PLC. I was looking into having the same model of HMI installed, but it's discontinued and replaced by the NA5 series.

To install a NA5, I know that I need an Ethernet adapter on my PLC (CP1W-CIF41, CP1W-ETN61 or CP1W-EIP61), although I don't know which one would suit my needs.

Although discontinued, NS5 HMIs are still available, but I'd rather suggest my client to go with the NA5.

Here's the setup I had in mind for the NS5

CP1H-XA40DR-A [CP1W-CIF12-V1] ------ RS-422 ------ [NS-AL002] NS5-SQ10B-V2

Setup with the NA5

CP1H-XA40DR-A [CP1W-CIF4I] ----- Ethernet ----- [no comm module] NA5-7W001B-V1

Does anyone have any experience with all this? What would this setup involve, programming/configuration and hardware-wise? Am I missing anything?

Any tips and comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

Check with Omron - I was under the impression that they will not work together but could well be wrong.

NA5 uses Sysmac Studio for programming. The screens from your NS5 isn't compatible with the NA5. Are you sure you want to redo all the screens?

Hey kckku,

That was actually one of my concerns, I didn't know if the program of the NS5 could be downloaded directly into the NA5, but I understand that it would have to be redone. At this point, I'm just considering all options and everything that would be required before suggesting anything to my client.

Another option would be the Omron NB series.
Screens would still need to be recreated, but the software is free.
Additionally the NB has an on board RS422 port, so you could add it to the existing serial comm line.

Just a thought.
gtsuport

Another option would be the Omron NB series.
Screens would still need to be recreated, but the software is free.
Additionally the NB has an on board RS422 port, so you could add it to the existing serial comm line.

Just a thought.
gtsuport

Thanks, I'll look into it

It is possible to connect a NA5 series HMI to a CJ2 over FINS Ethernet. I haven't personally done this but do a bit of googling and you'll find some videos on how it's done.
So I see no reason why one couldn't do the same with a CP1H. I prefer the CP1W-EIP61 adapter but probably any of those you listed will work. You'll need to set a routing table to it with CX-Integrator.
I don't have a NA5 on hand at the moment, otherwise I would give this a try as I'm curious on how it would perform.

Alternately you could consider the NB-Series. They are suited well to the CP series PLCs. But personally I find the programming software painful.

Last edited:
It is possible to connect a NA5 series HMI to a CJ2 over FINS Ethernet. I haven't personally done this but do a bit of googling and you'll find some videos on how it's done.
So I see no reason why one couldn't do the same with a CP1H. I prefer the CP1W-EIP61 adapter but probably any of those you listed will work. You'll need to set a routing table to it with CX-Integrator.
I don't have a NA5 on hand at the moment, otherwise I would give this a try as I'm curious on how it would perform.

Alternately you could consider the NB-Series. They are suited well to the CP series PLCs. But personally I find the programming software painful.

Thanks for your input.