Guardlogix Variables

janner_10

Lifetime Supporting Member
I'm not experience with Allen-Bradley so I am struggling with something I can do very easily with Siemens.

I wonder if anyone could shed some light.

I am trying to read normal Controller or Main Program tags inside the safety program, for example, having a safety reset on the HMI instead of a physical PB

This is proving to be difficult to do, so firstly, is it possible?

The opposite is also proving difficult, for example writing to a normal tag inside the safety program. eg a normal tag of g_xMachineSafe to use for general logic throughout the program.

Thanks in advance.

Out of four possible combinations of read/write and safety/non-safety, you can only do one:

1. You can't write safety tags outside the safety task
2. You can't write non-safety tags in a safety task
3. You can't read a non-safety tag inside the safety task
4. You can read a safety tag in a non-safety task

As to the first two: that's just how it is. It's good practice anyhow to clearly separate safety control from non-safety control, which means you should never be be trying to write to anything safety-related except in the securable safety routine, and likewise with the non-safety controls.

As to the third: as Jeev has mentioned above, you have to map the safety tags. Let's say your reset tag from your HMI is "HMI_Reset". Create a new safety-scoped tag called "Safety_HMI_Reset", and then map the two tags together as Jeev described. The safety tag will match the state of the non-safety tag, and a standard cross reference will pick up that they have been mapped and show references to both tags.

Just wanted to post another thanks on here. I am working through a similar issue where I need to read some standard tags and control a safety scanner through the safety task. Didn't know about the safety tag mapping until this thread. Thanks so much!