KEPServerEX 6 CIP error one one VM but not the other.

Tanquen

I've setup another VM with KEPServerEX but it will not talk to the same PLC that the other is. It is seeing the PLC as it will show another error if I take the VM off the network but when it can see it there are a bunch of CIP errors for each tag.

Using the Allen-Bradley ControlLogix Ethernet driver in KEPServerEX to a 1769-L33ER PLC.

I thought maybe it was the version of KEPServerEX, but I upgraded to the same version that's running on the two that are working and that didn't help.

It's like I'm missing a setting, but I've double checked the channel settings and the device settings a couple of times and they look identical to the one that work.

Warning Allen-Bradley ControlLogix Ethernet Channel4.WPLC | Unable to read tag. | Tag address = 'B25:10/2', CIP error = 0X4, Extended error = 0000.

I have had network related problems with vm’s when multiple copies of the same vm are on the same network. Make sure you don’t have duplicate ip’s or Mac addresses.

I did have other VMs open but I closed those. Wondering if there were too many connections or something. The VMs that are not working were also an older version of kepserver and in the documentation it mentions that a particular version is compatible with up to a certain firmware version. The PLC is using firmware 34 and even the one that's working says it supports up to 33.1 and the one that wasn't working was limited to a lower firmware. But after upgrading to the same version of KEPserver, it still doesn't work.

They are on different operating systems. Windows 10 works but Windows Server 2012 don't.

I have the same version of KEPServerEX on both now and copied the KEPServerEX config from the working VM but still get the error.

I did find this info about the error but I don't see how they both can find the PLC and talk to it but one is unable to find a value at the same address.

CIP 0x04 indicates that a client is trying to read a particular tag, and the device has responded that it does not have a tag of that syntax
CIP error = 0X4 means 'Path segment error. Tag does not exist in the device'

Last edited:
Opps :(

The not working VM has an older version of the InTouch app and is using an old item format that the new PLC don't like.

Old
F20:42

New
F20[42]