WinCC V13 profibus connection to Proxy

JDCROCKETT724

I have just installed WinCC V13, and I have setup my proxy and dragged my profibus connection from my proxy PLC to my HMI. There is no PN connection configured or shown in the network view.

Now for my problem. When I go to drag the tag from my proxy program blocks to a push button the tag is generated in my "HMI tags" as HMI_Connection_1 which also automatically generates a PN connection to the HMI from the Proxy. How do I default the tag connection to the Profibus connection I made?

My guess is that you have put the HMI and Proxy on the same Profibus network, but have not created an HMI connection between them. You can confirm if it has been created on the Connections screen of the HMI.

If the connection needs to be created, go to the Network view, and choose "Connections" in the top left. Select HMI Connection if it isn't the default, and then connect the Profibus ports again. It should now show an HMI connection between them.

I tried it on my PG with v13, and and it worked as above. If I put both devices on the same Profinet network, leaving ethernet unconnected on the proxy, Portal still creates the connection over Ethernet when I drag&drop. However, once I deleted the Ethernet connection and created the HMI connection over Profibus, drag and drop used the correct connection for the new tags.

I did this. Attached are two pictures. One is of my Profibus connection that I made and named, and the other shows the Profinet connection that was automatically created when I dragged the tag to my screen. There must be a setting somewhere that defaults to either profibus or profinet.

Profibus.jpg PN Connection added.jpg

What your screenshot shows there is a network connecting those two devices. Not a named HMI connection, just a network connection. Portal allows you to name your Profinet networks, because you can have large projects with many of them, and they can each have many devices. On Profinet, the network controls the IP address range of each device, and it makes sure that nothing conflicts.

If you expand the HMI project tree, and open the Connections screen, I bet it will only show a connection for Ethernet, and not for Profibus. My first post described how to create the Profibus connection on the networks screen, but it might not make sense without screenshots. I won't be able to post screenshots until later. Hopefully I'll get a chance at the airport this afternoon, or maybe someone else can help here?

Under my connections in my HMI tree I can create a profibus connection, but when I drag a tag onto one of my HMI screens a new connection is created under Profinet. It does not use the either the Profibus connection I made in the network or the connection I made. See attached. The top connection is a profibus connection I made, and the other connection was automatically generated when I dropped a tag in my HMI from the Proxy.

Connections.jpg

No need to reply. I went to siemens tech support and got this cheery news. Pretty much a complete waste of time and money upgrading to V13 if you need to use a Profibus connection.

From Siemens-
"If you are talking about the PLC Proxy device, currently we are only seeing this available for ethernet/profinet connections.

I currently have a case to HQ in development for a couple other customers that are wanting MPI and/or Profibus; however not working for those protocols. This is a known issue currently; where ethernet/PN is currently only option and we are waiting to hear back from HQ whether or not the other protocols will be applicable, added at another time, or not an option.

I do regret this inconvenience."

I just tried it, and it seemed to work fine. Just make the HMI connection first as mentioned.

ProxyConnection.jpg

That did it. I had the network button on when I drew it in. Pressing the connections as you highlighted seemed to fix it. I guess I should let siemens know. Thanks Mike