What is needed to connect a laptop computer to an slc500

wonder_dog7

I used to trouble shoot Ladder logic programs on ocassion. The laptops we used were already set up to communicate with the SLC500's so I never had to deal with setup of them.
I have an SLC500 now and would like to know what is needed to down load programs to it. Is there any other way than using a PCMK card as they are very expensive? From what I understand rslinx-lite can be used to down load programs. What is the differences between this and the regular rslinx?

You will need to use RSLogix 500 to view and/or modify the program. The interface hardware to get the computer to talk to the SLC can be a 1747-CP3 cable which will connect your PC's serial port to channel 0 (9 pin 'D') of a SLC 5/03, 5/04, or 5/05.

If you have a fixed 500, 5/01 or 5/02 you can use a 1747-PIC to connect from your serial port to the RJ-45 port of the SLC. If you go this route you'll need to pick up an adapter as the PIC has a 25 pin connector and your PC will, more than likely, have a 9 pin.

The PCMK can also be used, as you already know, to talk to a 500, 5/01, or 5/02 with the PCM4 cable or a 5/04 with the PCM6 cable. The 5/05 has an ethernet port on it that can also be used to program through.

RSLinx lite just has comm driver functionality. Any other version (gateway, pro, ...) has added dde/opc capability.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info. What does the pcmk card do for you different than the 1747-pic cable? Im wondering on account of the fact that the pcmk card seems a lot more expensive. How do I plug the 1747-pic cable into the laptop computer?

I use a 1747-PIC and what you need is a laptop with a serial port. I think AB says a USB to Serial adapter won't work, so if your laptop is fairly new and doesn't have a 9 pin serial port this won't be the way to go. The serial port connects to a 9 pin to 25 pin converter which is connected to a ribbon cable for the PIC. The cable coming out the other end goes into the SLC. Right now they are going for about $100 on ebay for the complete unit. Don't buy one without the adapter or the cable, anything AB is worth it's weight in gold.