Wonderware Intouch client tag problem

fc_kaminski

We have a supervisory system comprised of 3 servers stations and 4 clients stations, all of them running Windows Server 2008 R2. The three servers run Wonderware Intouch v.10.1 (60000 tag with I/O) and their purpose is to interface with the plant's PLCs. The 4 clients run Wonderware Intouch v.10.1 (60000 tag without I/O) and access the servers via SuiteLink protocol. Every client runs its own identical copy of the project folder, stored locally. Finally, the clients are all accessed via RDP from additional computers installed underneath the operators table.

The problem is: sometimes, like once in a week, we observe discrepancies in a couple of random server tags in just one of the clients, eg: a pump status showing as "running", when it is not. The problem disappears only when WindowViewer is restarted on this client. The client where the problem occurs is also random. The nuisance is that this error have already lead the operators to take wrong actions.

Thanks in advance,
Fernando

When you loose connection between the Intouch and the PLC, your data will be as it was at time of loss.
It seems to me you are losing comms.
Check "System Management Console > Log Viewer > Default Group > Local" at each pc to see if anything stands out.

Where is history saved for each PC? Is it Intouch Historian, SQL Server, or Standard Intouch History?
You can look back in history logs and see when the data flat lines, maybe that will help.

Does it happen at the same time? Maybe the server is doing something at that time (like backup or anti virus update) that causes the loss.

Last edited:
Situations like this one are why I would recommend implementing a heartbeat based loss of PLC communications alarm on any HMI system, so that operators can be made aware that the data being received from that PLC is untrustworthy.

Sorry that I don't have a resolution to offer for this particular problem.

You can also monitor the tagname.qualtiy "dotfield" on the tags to verify problems.
Foe example the tagname is "PumpOn". If you make a light for "PumpOn.quality", It will let you know if there is an issue with the data.

Bit_Bucket_07, I've looked in the SMC log. There are tons of messages and I'll carefully read them. So far, the only suspect line I found was:

3849913 1/28/2018 11:06:19 PM 5808 2324 Info VIEW SuiteLink Stream communication failure receiving from CLIENTE04 view: Connection for VIEW from 10.136.70.9 went away, app closed connection? (WSAECONNRESET) (10054)

I'll look if the SuiteLink service in the failed client is active and responding, next time it happens.

The WonderWare Historian runs in a separate server and pulls the data directly from the servers, so the TAGs are always OK there. The issue don't seem to happen in the same time.

NetNathan, the heartbeat ideia is very interesting. It could pop-up a warning message preventing this issue to escalate into an operational mistake.

Thanks for you help!