Profibus Siemens

Hello,

I've installed a few months ago a WinCC ver 6.0. And I must say it works fine.

For that application I used an CP343-1 ind. ethernet card in my plc and a CP1613 card in my PC.

Now I would like to communicate with another PLC which has a profibus connection with an very old Coros software.
The idea was to replace the Coros application with a WinCC application but keep the profibus network.

In the PLC we used an CP443-5 Basis (FMS, S7, S/R) 6GK7 443-5FX01-0XE0
profibus card.

I've been surfing around a little bit and came up with several possibilities:

Hardware

CP5611: PC-card for connecting PG/PC to profibus or MPI (comm. soft. contained in the WinCC basis pack)

CP5613: PC-card for connecting PC to profibus

CP5316 A2: PC-card for connecting PC to profibus

Software

S7-5613 Communication software for S7 functions + FDL

FMS-5613 Communication software for Profibus FMS + FDL.

What is the best sollution ?

Rudi

I use CP5611 on MPI at 1.5 MBaud to talk to S7-400.
It works very well indeed. Two Protool PCs, and one programming PC online at the same time with great response times.
It could have been Profibus, but I see no particular need for it.

I dont think you need any additional software when using WinCC in connection with a CP5611.

Forget FMS, its only for non-Siemens products that doesnt speak DP.

In your case, you could go online with the S7400 CPU via the MPI port, and leave the CP443-5 and the Coros application alone until the Win CC application is finished.

Jesper,

We want to replace the coros apllication, we need to use more than 512 external tags so it isn't a small application.
Furthermore we would like to keep the MPI port free for programming purposes.

I thought that FMS was build for large data transfer over profibus an that DP was build for more normal I/O?

Rudi

Even if you use the MPI port for Win CC, you can still use it for programming.
If you are worried about not being able to plug a laptop into the MPI port because there is already a cable in the port, then you should use a Profibus/MPI connector with a PG socket in it (6ES7 952-0BB41-0XA0).

Protool goes up to 2048 tags. Like I said before, 2 Protool PCs + 1 programming PC works quite well on MPI at 1.5 Mbaud.

I dont think that Profibus will be faster than MPI at the same baudrate, the two Protocols are very similar (well .. MPI is derived from Profibus). People generally underestimate MPI. I think that comes from the time where MPI was only 187.5 Kbaud, and the online connection was a serial adapter with 19.2 Kbaud on the PC side.

The access from Win CC to the S7 CPU will be via the same "kind" of protocol regardless if you choose MPI or Profibus - thats what the "S7" stands for when you look at the available protocols.

Believe me, nobody uses FMS today.

You can also choose to connect via Profibus and the onboard DP port, or the CP443-5. That will still be an "S7" connection.

Hello Fritz,

This is my opinion:

First, you need to check the actual protocol to Coros, is it FMS, DP, or something.
Second, do you really want to change Coros to Wincc?
Third, wich is the amount of data from the PLC to Coros?

In my opinion, if money is not problem, the combination CP 5613/CP443-5 is the best choise, because supports all the protocols and amount of data in maximum possibilty.
If you want to save money, the cheapest solution will be the programming port (MPI), using a T-connector (for PG and PC), and use CP5611 in PC, but probably you must change something in PLC, if the protocol used to Coros is FMS.