Help with Network issue...

JoseM

I don't know if you guys can help me with this situation but here it goes.

I'm trying to get this computer at work to access the internet because this computer is connected to all PLC's in our plant and I want to remote into it to work on PLC problems from home.

There is a wireless router that I believe is acting as a "Gateway" to direct traffic to the respective parties in the network.

Here are two pictures, one depict what the network looks like between the router, PLC , and computer.

The other picture shows a "Static Routing Table" on the server computer which I don't know much about it.

I've contacted various technical services from the DSL provider and the router provider with no success.

Network.JPG Route Print.JPG

Try LogMeIn Free. You just install it on the computer at work, no need to worry about firewalls. Then from home contact logmein. You will get a linkup to the desktop of your work computer. I judge my hookup is at about 50% speed of sitting in front of it. You might run it past IT people, if you have anyone doing that. It's fully encrypted. And it's free.

Are the switch's in you diagram managed? Do they have a ip address?

Can you get to the internet with the server ? Find Your public ip address by going to ipchicken.com but don't post it here for security purposes.

You can do 2 things you can remote the computer from home or you can VPN into the network. It may not be a bad idea to have both.

Logmein https://secure.logmein.com/ on the server will allow you to remote it from the internet just make sure you have a good password and you may even want 2 factor authentication also jsut to be safe.

Most likely the DSL router can be a VPN server also but a easy vpn option is to install logmein hamachi https://secure.logmein.com/products/hamachi/default.aspx
on the server and set it to gateway mode this way you can just use RDP terminal services from home to connect to it and it will be faster and more responsive than logmein remote control.

You may want to use 2 factor authentication for the email connected to logmein service also. I normally make a webmail account with good security for this like gmail and multiple people can share it vs using your everyday email address.

That is my main problem, that the server computer can't access the internet through the dedicated DSL line we have in our office. The switches, they are not managed, just plain switches.

I can ping the PLC and the router from the server but internet still doesn't work on it. Somebody from Netgear told me that I needed to do "Static Routing Table" but I don't know how to and if its necessary.

Last edited:
Are there any computers that are attached to this DSL connection that work? Does the DSL line (phone line come directly into this router /gateway box or do you have a seperate DSL modem?

If you have other computers connected to this DSL connection then you need to go into a command prompt and do a ipconfig/all and write down all you connection settings and make sure the server you need access to is in the same range.

BTW 199.199.199.0-255 is a public IP range and you internal plc's and servers should not be set to that as a best practice.

Find out your public ip address and range and PM me and we can dig deeper.

The router has a DSL modem built-in and the phone line comes directly to it.

We have several kiosk through the production floor that are connected to the server using the switches,so there are various compueters on this network.

This system was setup this way prior to me joining the company so I didn't have any input on the selection of the IP range.

THe server computer has a program called "NetScan" that gives me all IP addresses that are part of the network and I get about 16 different IP addresses and the one for the "Server" is on that list.

Last edited:
Ok can you answer the Question "what is your public IP address" I need that to be able to help you.

It sorta sounds like the other machines may have public addresses. Lets make sure thats not the case before we go further.

Again go to any computer, server, ipad whatever on that network that you know you can connect to the internet with and go to ipchicken.com and PM me the result if you want help.

We have to know exactly what we are dealing with to solve your problem.

Sorry "The PLC Kid" if I'm not answering your question but the computers on the 199.199.199 network don't have internet access.

I'm trying to bring internet access to the "Server" computer right now. They told me that the system used to work but when the company decided that the management wanted to have access to the information the "Server" was displaying and they connected this network to the intranet, the internet stop working.

Did you say you could ping your DSL modem from the your server? If so, you most likely have a problem with your LAN settings on your server.

I'm having problems following how your network(s) is/are laid out. Could you draw something out? It doesn't have to be pretty, just some labeled boxes and lines drawn in Paint will help.

Also, could you open your CMD prompt and do "ipconfig /all" on both the server AND a computer that the internet works on and post the results on here (screenshot or copy/paste).

Ok Jose

Now we are getting somewhere. We still need that ipconfig/all info. Did you get that yet? Can you post it?

You said you have netscan on the server and it will give you a list of IP addresses if you run it. Do so and find out what all the ip addresses go to. You alreday have some of them documented.

One of those addresses "should" be the lAN side of your modem/router. Pull up internet explorer and enter the ip addresses in the address bar like 199.199.199.10 for example and press enter. make sure you use the address bar of the browser on the left and not the search bar on the right.

If the device that uses that ip has a webserver you will be prompted for a login most likely. The DSL modem should have a webserver access unless it is setup for NAT 0 or passthrough.

It may have the default password being used but you can go online and find out the default password. If it is not the default and you don't have it you will have to factory reset it to clear it but hey it's not working anyway.

You ISP should be able to tell you your public IP address subnet mask and default gateway as well as dns and they should also be able to tell you if the modem is in NAT mode or passthrough and may even be able to reset the password for you depending on the modem/router model.

The ISP can also ping the WAN side of the router and tell you if the connection is good. Do you have a workstation of laptop you can plug into the router? If so set it to DHCP mode and see if the router will give it a address.

If you go to the server and do a IPconfig/all from my earlier post that "should" give you the ip address of the router. It would be the address listed as the default gateway.

Please do a IPconfig/all from the server and post the results.

From your drawing 199.199199.60 is your router. Open IE put it in the address bar. press enter and see if you get access to the config page / webpage of the router? or a password Prompt.

Make sure you plc's, servers,switch's are plugged into ports labeled LAN on the router. If there is a WAN port of a RJ 45 flavor make sure nothing is plugged into it.

Hopefully this shows a little bit more information.The IP config/all was done on the server computer.

When I do the 199.199.199.60 through the wireless, I get a D-Link router web page. We use to have a D-Link but I removed it and put a Netgear in its place.

Network.JPG Network Shot.jpg

Last edited:
Jose

Your new drawing does not have complete ip addresses. Go to each computer and do ipconfig and put the entire address in your drawing. You will ned this in the future.

Did you try to go to the webpage of the router with your browser? What was the result?