Seek “starter” PLC advice for a student

I disagree 100% with the above comment, if you start with A.B., and are willing to read their manual on the ladder logic instructions, then you will pick it up for sure.

Since they are in 8th grade, there is no need to rush the learning process. For me, I started with college level C programming, then Assembly, then straight to ladder logic just fine.

This student has already dabbled with some AD software. He should focus more on exposing himself to various different PLCs and software. Similar to an athlete in middle school, they should expose themselves to various sports, then eventually pick one they like, and specialize in that one sport.

If the opportunity is there, jump to another brand and just get exposure. There is no need to become an expert on one product at an 8th grade level. Once it's time to hunt for internships and co-ops, a student with more exposure to various products will get hired quickly compared to student who only understands one product line.

Automation Direct's software is free

To be correct for the future people who may read this thread.

Most of Automation Direct's software primarily for the newer generation of hardware is free, but most of the older PLC's still use Direct Soft which is around $400.00 last time I checked.

Also, some of the SCADA and HMI packages are also a paid license, so it depends on the specific family of AD hardware you are using.