Pressure Switch Woes

JBradley

Problem:

We use AB ML1100's and have an issue with our pressure switch project. We want to use these sweet back-lit stainless AB pressure switches but they send a 24V input signal. The 1100 and the card we use (IA8) are built for 120V input. What should we do? use a cheap relay and wire up 60 of these turds.. or buy new 24V input cards? Has anyone had similar experiences that knows a quick and cheap solution? The other option is a mechanical hand calibrated pressure switch, I don't want to use these because I will most likely have to calibrate them once a year. (no time!)

Keep in mind that there are 60 of these machines.

Current Hardware:

-AB Micrologix 1100
-AB IA8 Input card

Sounds like to me if I was doing the job, I would change the cards. You could probably sell the old cards to PLCCenter.com for a few bucks to help recoupe some of your outlay. You might even find some (used) 24V. cards there also for a fraction of new price.

We use the cards and can't really change, the machines are already in service. We are trying to add these pressure switches so that when pressure is not right, they will not allow the machine to opperate.

I would look for a "sweet back-lit stainless AB pressure switch", except with the capability to operate at 120 volts. There are many brands and models from which to choose. Surely there is one 120 volt switch that will meet all your specifications.

Most pressure switches I have used are simply sets of contacts.
They are rated up to 220v and you can run whatever voltage you want through them, or at least have several options.

If you post the part # maybe folks can help see if these 'sweet' AB switches have that capability.

On mixed input voltage panels, I tend to use AB din rail mounted dip relays, very small footprint. These also come with built in surge suppression, and indicator light. CAT# 700-hlt1u1, with 700-tbr60 relay insert.

I have one of the PS the AB rep left with us.

Part #:836E-DA1EN1-D4

He said they didn't make this particular switch with a 120V input signal, nor did they plan to.

Whats a rough cost on those relays?

Thanks,

Josh

I have one of the PS the AB rep left with us.
Now I begin to see your problem. You have been sold on a particular switch and have failed to look and see what the competitors are offering. Usually another brand will have something similar, maybe even better, with a 120 volt version.

What is so sweet about the AB 836E-DA1EN1-D4 switch? How is it "backlit"? Probably it has a 24 volt LED. You could add a 120 volt LED to any old pressure switch (if the light is what is impressing you).

Last edited:
nswu1 said:
On mixed input voltage panels, I tend to use AB din rail mounted dip relays, very small footprint. These also come with built in surge suppression, and indicator light. CAT# 700-hlt1u1, with 700-tbr60 relay insert.

We use Phoenix Contact PLC relays.
We have found them just as good and generally smaller and cheaper than AB stuff.
They are about $13-16 each and to change the voltage you change the little plug-in module.
The plug-ins are also available high current, opto-isolator etc etc.
Part number for a simple 120v version is PLC-RSC-120UC/21 or the phoenix order # is 29 66 52 4

We have used literally hundreds of these with no problems. They are DIN rail mount and only 6.2mm wide.

We weren't sold anything, it was free for us to play with.

It's compact and stainless. With the environment these will go into they need to be fairly small and very corrosion resistant. We currently use McNeil PS on every machine.

AB is our serious choice due to the fact that operators need not be able to simply unscrew a plate and "play" .. the more confusion the better.

But that is why i am here, i could care less if the switches came from AB or from bob's house of electronics, so long as they get the job done.

JB

LOL, tell your AB vendor to provide AB solutions that are "integrated". The AB line of products is meant to work seamlessly together. Don't accept anything less IMO.

CroCop said:
LOL, tell your AB vendor to provide AB solutions that are "integrated". The AB line of products is meant to work seamlessly together. Don't accept anything less IMO.

That requires a sales guy that knows what hes talking about.

I havnt met a rep yet that wouldnt sell you his grandma if he thought you would buy it wether you needed/wanted/could afford it or not.

Okay, now we are getting to the heart of the problem. You need a small stainless-steel tamper-resistant pressure switch that will operate at 120 volts. Suggestions, anyone?

Rosemont, Foxboro, and Omega come to mind....

What is the pressure range and operating fluid?

Last edited:
yes i agree, he is our new rep though, the last one moved to higher ground.

If grandma makes good food and is still potty trained then i'd probably take 'er.