MicroLogix 1000 Com Problem

OmniKurt

I've got a Micrologix 1000 that I seem to have lost communications with. I was able to AutoConfig using RSLinx, and then the problems happened. I am trying to use the Micro with a Xycom HMI. The Xycom could not communicate with the PLC, and their support site recommended the following Com settings. 19,200, 8, 1, BBC, Half Duplex. I made the change in RSLogix 500 online mode, and when the change accepted, I can no longer get RSLinx to see the PLC. :( Is there a way to hard reset the PLC back to the factory settings? I tried looking for a battery backup, but think that there's only a EEPROM. Got the cover off, but could not find any chips to pull, ect. RSLinx will try and AutoConfig, but never can land on the settings. If I enter them in manually, the PLC does not show up in the browser. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I may be wrong, but I thought the ML1000 only had DF1 Full Duplex, half
Duplex Slave and DH485. If you changed it to Half Duplex Slave then you will need to use DF1 Master for RSLinx. The default node address for the PLC is "1". I think the default for RSLinx is "0". Also after you make changes to RSLinx it does not hurt to shutdown and restart RSLinx.

Yes don`t give up done the same thing, but can`t remeber how to get back on line with it. Don`t sc*** it up you can do it with your laptop! I`m sure some one knows.

And just as a side note...

You have cycled power to the processor, yes? Not necessarily for this case(usually after certain types of faults) comm's will lock up and you won't be able to talk to anything without cycling power. Although I've only had to do this with plc5's, I suppose it's possible on the micrologix as well. You've probably already done this, but I just wanted to make sure....

Thank you very much for the tips. I will try DF1 Master... I was just trying to use the same driver.

Yes I did cycle power, reboot, many times.

I brought the box home, so will give it another go. Thanks again.

OK, I tried both DF1 Master, and 1747-PIC. Neither seemed to work. The 1747-PIC required me to restart RSLogix as an application, not a service. It never seemed to configure properly, so I can't say that it is not working. Anything else to check?

controller.jpg

Have you changed this back and tried to download a program??? Also go to Controller com. and make sure you`ve got the one your using as a driver. Don`t panic it`s something simple, just can`t remember what???

Last edited:
Yes, tried several times... It never even tries to communicate with the PLC. From my experience, if you don't see the PLC in RSLinx, you certainly will not be able to communicate with it in RSLogix 500. Also, to clarify, I've never been able to get the 1747-PIC driver "started". It says I need to shutdown/restart RSLinx, and I always get a message that the PIC driver failed to load, and the status will show "stopped". Don't even know if that has anything to do with this problem but thought I'd report it...

Yah... I've had problems with the PIC driver before... I've had to delete everything in rslinx that uses a com port, then restart my computer, then setup the pic driver, then restart my computer again...

Keep trying with the RSLinx Half Duplex Master driver.

Set it up with a Normal Polling list containing only the MicroLogix, which should be Node 01. Set the baud rate, data framing (data bits/parity) and error checking to the same values that you set in RSLogix 500.

And then get on your HMI maker's case for being the only vendor on the market that only supports such an unusual implementation of the DF1 protocol.

I have two more things up my sleeve but if the above fails you might want to just take the controller to your A-B distributor or sales office and see if they can resuscitate it for you.

You are a genius! I finally re-connected to the Micro. As Ken recommended, I used the DF1 Polling Master driver, and set the communication settings exactly as I had set in RSLogix500. Set for normal polling on Node 01 and with some devine intervention, the thing just showed up.

I swear that I tried that once last night...

Anyway, thanks to everyone for the help.