Help getting online with L32E Processor

sparkytex

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello All,

I’m trying to get online with a local lift station L32E compact Logix processor to pull the program as the local municipality cannot find a copy anywhere. The Ethernet port is currently being used and I also have no idea what the IP address is. My only shot is using the RS232 Channel 0 port and setting up a new driver in RSLinx.

My laptop does not have a RS232 port but rather com port 4 (USB). I have a 1747-UIC SER A Rev D FRN 1.3 RS232 to USB adapter. I’ve set up a new DF1 Driver in RSLinx using com port 4.

Com Port: COM 4
Device: Logix 5550 / Compact Logix
Baud Rate: 19,200
Parity:1
Station number:00
Error Checking: BCC
Stoping bits: 1
Protocol: Full Duplex

I’ve never used this adapter before so I’m thinking I have something set up incorrectly on the driver as I cannot get online with the processor. On the adapter I have a green OK light on, no USB green light or DH-485 green light. The little switch is set to the bottom position (RS232). Thanks in advance!

Am I missing something here?

Assuming that the L32E serial port is at its default setting, you need a USB-Serial adapter and a Null Modem cable (CP3). You cannot use the UIC, that is for DH485, not DF1.

Is the ethernet going to a switch? Any spare ports there you can connect to? You could probably find the controller in rslinx that way.

Side topic question: Does anyone know if RSLinx browses by MAC like Siemens discovery does, or is it required to always be the correct IP and Subnet?

Unless you 1769's RS232 port is set up for DH485 the UIC will not work. You'd need a normal USB to RS232 adaptor, then set up a DF1 driver in Linx. Alternatively connect up to the ethernet Network and use wire shark to find the PLC's IP address. What else is on the ethernet Network?

Is the ethernet going to a switch? Any spare ports there you can connect to? You could probably find the controller in rslinx that way.

Side topic question: Does anyone know if RSLinx browses by MAC like Siemens discovery does, or is it required to always be the correct IP and Subnet?

Actually stupid me I found an Ethernet switch with a spare port. However, don’t I still need to know the Static IP of the processor to be able to create an AB_ETHIP driver to be able to communicate with the processor?

I would use Wire Shark. It's a free download and a great tool. Use it with any static IP address you want until you see the MAC address for the CompactLogix then that packet should have the IP address in it.

I would use Wire Shark. It's a free download and a great tool. Use it with any static IP address you want until you see the MAC address for the CompactLogix then that packet should have the IP address in it.

My PLC laptop used Windows XP and isn’t really capable of going online. Am I able to use a newer laptop with windows 10 to accomplish finding the IP address?

To add to JaxGTO's comment, when you are plugged in and waiting, you will likely see an ARP packet, so if you put "arp" (no quotes) in filter bar above the packet window, it will filter out all of the stuff that you don't need to pay attention to. Pay attention to the Source column, you will probably be able to identify your PLC by seeing "Rockwell_xx:xx:xx" in the column, the Info column for that packet should have your PLC's IP address.

capture-20210312-154226.png

My PLC laptop used Windows XP and isn’t really capable of going online. Am I able to use a newer laptop with windows 10 to accomplish finding the IP address?

For the wireshark method, any computer that will run wireshark and has an Ethernet connection will do.

I seem to have found the IP and can see the L32E processor in RSLinx but it shows up as a question marked unrecorded device.. I do not have the program for this processor but I’m hoping to get online with it to view its program (realizing some descriptors may be missing).

When I open up RSLogix 5000, Who Active, and click on the Ethernet driver and the yellow question marked unrecognized device I’m unable to upload or go online with the processor as the the buttons are greyed out. Is there another step I’m missing here?

In RSLinx, right click on the PLC and select upload EDS from device.

Now this raises the question of what firmware revision is in the controller and what version(s) of RSLogix do you have installed?

The PLC is Rev: 18.11 and my RSLogix is Rev:17.01. I do not see a “Upload EDS from device” anywhere. Just driver diagnostics, configure driver, and device properties.

Does the icon show up as a yellow question mark and does it have a red X through it?

Also, you are going to need to install RSLogix v18 if you want to connect to that controller. You will not be able to connect with v17.

Does the icon show up as a yellow question mark and does it have a red X through it?

Also, you are going to need to install RSLogix v18 if you want to connect to that controller. You will not be able to connect with v17.

It shows up as a yellow question Mark, I have my static IP set to be able to communicate to the processor.