Help getting online with L32E Processor

The fact that you cannot upload the EDS file from the device makes me think that RSLinx is not actually seeing it. Are you using the Ethernet Devices driver (one where you have to type them in), or the Ethernet I/P driver? Are you able to ping the PLC?

The fact that you cannot upload the EDS file from the device makes me think that RSLinx is not actually seeing it. Are you using the Ethernet Devices driver (one where you have to type them in), or the Ethernet I/P driver? Are you able to ping the PLC?

Yes, I’ve already pinged the device to be sure I was actually communicating with it. I’m using the AB_ETHIP Ethernet driver.

Yes, I’ve already pinged the device to be sure I was actually communicating with it. I’m using the AB_ETHIP Ethernet driver.

Hmm, how confidant that you got the IP address correct? I'm wondering if you go the IP Address of another device. What happens if you right click on it and select Device Properties?

Hmm, how confidant that you got the IP address correct? I'm wondering if you go the IP Address of another device. What happens if you right click on it and select Device Properties?

It brings me a list of the device properties:

Device Name: 1769-L32E Ethernet Port
Vendor: Allen Bradley Company
Product Type: 12
Product Code: 158
Revision: 18.11
Serial Number 403D85B4

This is the only Ethernet device in this stand alone lift station cabinet other than the little RsView touch screen.

Well that's a bummer. The last time I tried to download an EDS from Rockwell, I wanted to punch myself in the face.

Even if you get the EDS file, you are still going to have to install v18 of RSLogix 5000 to go online. You might as well do that and upgrade RSLinx.

Last edited:
Software upgrades every 15 or 20 years are a necessary burden.

The RSLinx hurdle is that back then, CompactLogix had at least three EDS files: the CPU, the daughtercard, and the virtual backplane object.

Because it was a pain, RA consolidated all of the EDS files for those generations of CompactLogix, up to v20, in one ZIP file in the Knowledgebase, complete with instructions on how to use the EDS Hardware Registration Tool.

https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/answer_view/a_id/26315

As noted, if the controller is v18, then you need v18 on your computer to upload or go online.

If you don’t have rslogix v18 on your pc then the issue with the Eds doesn’t matter. You need to obtain a copy of v18 before you worry about the rest.

Edit: The others are faster than me but the solution is the same.

Thank you everyone for taking the time to help me out, it’s greatly appreciated. I’ll have to call Rockwell and ask for an upgrade the RSLogix 5000, then also upgrade RSLinx.

Thank you everyone for taking the time to help me out, it’s greatly appreciated. I’ll have to call Rockwell and ask for an upgrade the RSLogix 5000, then also upgrade RSLinx.

Keep in mind, you need v18 specifically. There is no such thing as backwards compatibility. The major version of software has to match the major version of firmware.

Keep in mind, you need v18 specifically. There is no such thing as backwards compatibility. The major version of software has to match the major version of firmware.
Although, you won't actually buy v18 specifically. You'll buy the latest version, and that will allow you to download that versions and all previous versions, including v18.