Seimens tia portal v16

RY_Guthrie

I have installed ver 16 of tia portal and I am running in the 21 days grace period. My question is this, is it fully functional during that 21 day period? And if not what functions are disabled? I need to do a minor edit to the logic. Also does tia portal store the tag and rung comments in the plc or is that configurable by the programmer? Thanks to everyone here, you guys and gals have really been a great help to me many times!!

I'm 99% sure it has all "normal" functions. Only if some addons were used in the plc you have to edit, then you could have problems (like Safety, Telecontrol etc..)

In s7-1200 and s7-1500 all comments and names are in the plc, not configurable.

It's identical. Just make sure you download the version you need, pro or basic.
if i download professional will I be able to go online with a program written using basic? I am offshore Brazil so downloading a new version is not possible due to the incredibly slow internet speeds!

In s7-1200 and s7-1500 all comments and names are in the plc, not configurable.

Caveat: This is true for Standard code. For safety code, there is a checkbox you need to activate to make it uploadable at all.

Caveat: This is true for Standard code. For safety code, there is a checkbox you need to activate to make it uploadable at all.

And always locked with a password, isn't it?

He would have to download TiaSafety too if it is a safety program, and I'm not sure if there is a trial version for that..

But I think that even with unlockable parts, he could change the "normal" part of code.

And always locked with a password, isn't it?

He would have to download TiaSafety too if it is a safety program, and I'm not sure if there is a trial version for that..

But I think that even with unlockable parts, he could change the "normal" part of code.

Not always, anymore. With 1200/1500 safety passwords are actually optional, although having a password is strongly encouraged for production use. The idea is that since typically the OEM put an easy password in during commissioning (like the company name) and no one ever bothered to change it, they might as well give machine builders the option to wait until after commissioning (when the most safety changes are made) and set the password during the factory acceptance test.

I saw a chart once with a bunch of different scenarios for how safety is handled (what you can do if not installed vs installed and licensed vs installed and not licensed vs installed with expired license). I've been trying to find it again for years.

On the plus side, with V16, safety is installed as part of the main installer, so you'd get the trial version of both and that wouldn't be an issue.