OT:controls engineer responsibilities

I have a short list from my experience:

-Everything and if somebody else could not fix it even if its mechanics, plumbing or what not, then the controls guy would be the go-to guy.

Usually it depends on position to position. With Fords large department it might be more in standardization with smaller areas of responsibility and with small company the position would most likely be from maintenance to project management covering everything from the safety to electrics and from sensors to MES systems. Usually plant side guys should not be writing much code but more on the supervising side of things.

I have a short list from my experience:

-Everything and if somebody else could not fix it even if its mechanics, plumbing or what not, then the controls guy would be the go-to guy.

Usually it depends on position to position. With Fords large department it might be more in standardization with smaller areas of responsibility and with small company the position would most likely be from maintenance to project management covering everything from the safety to electrics and from sensors to MES systems. Usually plant side guys should not be writing much code but more on the supervising side of things.

You forgot:
Tuning the bosses car
Washing the bosses car
Brakes on the bosses car
Stopping by the bosses girlfrends apartment and fixing her garbage disposal or air conditioning
Replacing burnt out lights in the office, and sign out front

Better stop before I max out the message limit

Likely Site Acceptance Test.

When a plant buys a piece of equipment, two common milestones (of many) are a FAT (Factory Acceptance Test) and SAT (Site Acceptance Test). The purchaser visits the OEM to validate the equipment before it ships to site (FAT), then once the equipment is up and running in the plant, it is often subject to real world production validation (SAT).

Yep, during FAT and SAT; RAR is expected (Run At Rate).

I like Jaden's addition.
I have seen too many system that were designed with no thought about how it is to be controlled.

That is how I got into designing controls.

I worked at an automotive stamping plant working in maintenance that was troubleshooting and upgrading PLC's and controls. A new tapping machine was being planned to be ordered and the supervisor of the department said he could build it in-house for 1/10th the cost.

8 months later he showed me his completed machine. It looked professionally made - I was surprised it didn't look home-made. Then he told me all I had to do is build the controls and make it run, something I had never done or planned on doing.

Took me a few months but I did it, and it was still running after 20 years last I heard.